Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is boring out the throttle body on my 4.0 worth messing with? Ive seen after market throttle bodies for $300 +. Just wondering if it makes enough of a difference to bore mine or replace.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
It is not going to get you ANYTHING on the 4.0.

·
Administrator
30,782 Posts
Welcome to the Forum

·
Registered
213 Posts
I bored out the TB on my previous 2003 Rubicon and hated it. The throttle was very touchy just off idle and didn't do anything power wise, I wouldn't do it again.

Vince

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
No, its a bad idea. If you create any gaps around the throttle blade you will have less idle control, and possible a high idle.

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
Is boring out the throttle body on my 4.0 worth messing with? Ive seen after market throttle bodies for $300 +. Just wondering if it makes enough of a difference to bore mine or replace.
the bored throttle body only helps throttle response, nothing else. more air gets past the blade quicker because the orifice is larger for any given blade position. it won't give you any noticable increase in power....unless you're doing other worthwhile mods too, like a supercharger, turbo, stroker or cam & head work.

to me, it's only worth it if you have the 00+ new style intake manifold and if you pay less than about $100 for the 62/63mm bored throttle body. remember the intake manifold opening is only 62mm anyway.

I run a 62/63mm throttle body bought from Ebay. I like the throttle response and more air because I typically drive where the air is less dense with 20% less oxygen...at WOT.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,416 Posts
A bored throttle gives you the same result as stepping on the accelerator pedal a tiny bit more. Once you floor it, there is no more difference.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts