Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks. For the past month, I've been doing a lot of reading here in anticipation of my new Wrangler! Thanks to everyone here, I've learned so much but maybe now, I can be the one to receive help.

2 days ago I took delivery of a 2013 2-dr stick shift Wrangler. I've been living out of it, with 250 miles already driven. It's so much fun -- first Jeep (and new car) ever!!

a) When I push the clutch pedal all the way down, I hear a click from it. I don't think it's a problem, but I'm not so sure I heard it a day ago. Anyone else have this?

b) With the gear shift stick, it moves fairly freely into the 4th gear direction. I can do it with a pinky. It doesn't click in, but I can certainly move it into the gate area. I don't remember it being that loose yesterday either. Normal?

I'm sure I am now beginning to pay attention to the little things, so it's hard to tell what's good and what's wrong.

Thanks for the help! I look forward to reciprocating. Keep up the great help!
-Allen

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
allen099 said:
Hi folks. For the past month, I've been doing a lot of reading here in anticipation of my new Wrangler! Thanks to everyone here, I've learned so much but maybe now, I can be the one to receive help.

2 days ago I took delivery of a 2013 2-dr stick shift Wrangler. I've been living out of it, with 250 miles already driven. It's so much fun -- first Jeep (and new car) ever!!

a) When I push the clutch pedal all the way down, I hear a click from it. I don't think it's a problem, but I'm not so sure I heard it a day ago. Anyone else have this?

b) With the gear shift stick, it moves fairly freely into the 4th gear direction. I can do it with a pinky. It doesn't click in, but I can certainly move it into the gate area. I don't remember it being that loose yesterday either. Normal?

I'm sure I am now beginning to pay attention to the little things, so it's hard to tell what's good and what's wrong.

Thanks for the help! I look forward to reciprocating. Keep up the great help!
-Allen
If i were you id wait till about 750-1k miles after everything is broken in. Unless you know there is seriously a problem. If the things you mentioned dont go away take it in and have them looked at.

·
Registered
414 Posts
With the clutch pedal, you are probably hearing the clutch safety interlock switch being engaged. Also, you don't need to push the pedal all the way to the floor while driving, only on initial start up to engage the safety interlock.

Pretty much all modern manual transmission use some kind of centering mechanism to bring the shifter back to center when it is not in gear which puts it right in the area of the 4th gear gate. What you are feeling with the movement of your pinky, is probably just slop in the gear shift, it's a truck transmission not a Ferrari transmission but it shouldn't be too sloppy.

Like Jackster3 said, give some run in time which will also allow you to get used to it.

I would almost be willing to bet that most of it comes down to new daddy jitters.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses, guys. It's definitely a bit different than my previous car, a manual 2000 Ford Focus.

I'll be sure to give it a good few years of run time :-D. I was just curious whether these two things were always there and I just noticed them, or whether something happened. Thank you very much!!

·
Registered
765 Posts
Thanks for the responses, guys. It's definitely a bit different than my previous car, a manual 2000 Ford Focus.

I'll be sure to give it a good few years of run time :-D. I was just curious whether these two things were always there and I just noticed them, or whether something happened. Thank you very much!!
congratulations on the new Jeep! The JK really put me back in love with the auto :)

a front wheel drive manual [nothing under that shifter but a cable] and a jeep [transmission directly under the shifter] are very different animals. you'll get used to it and likely grow to love it.

my wrangler clutch pedal has never clicked.. but my last vehicle squeaked [very annoying] and as it turns out, the slave cylinder needed replaced.
keep an ear on it... if it continues to click.. take her in.

as far as the stick shift.. mine centers always when in neutral. definitely normal.

tip.. when shifting from 5th into 6th, and vice verse.. before you shift.. lightly push the shifter towards the passenger side gate, and drop straight back [or up for 5th] if not you might find yourself searching for 6th and get reverse instead.

! E N J O Y !

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
^^my 6-speed makes about every noise in the book, but I don't get any click from the pedal. I'd gladly trade my rattles for a click :)

the weak force to shift into the lower gears (2, 4, 6) is a characteristic of the transmission. It's weak enough that they had to redesign the shifter boot because people had a lot of problems with gear popouts.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
Mine clicks when I push the clutch in. 1 or 2 clicks maybe halfway down? No big deal. I'm at 36k now which I guess isn't that much but it's been the same for the last 15k miles. I'm not worried about it. Some jeeps make funny noises. Should they? Probably not, but if rather drive my wrangler than any other vehicle so ill take the click that comes with it

·
Registered
208 Posts
Congrats on the new jeep! I love my stick shift '12.

Like they all said, give it some time, let it break in, then watch for sounds etc.. But mine does Not make a clicking sound when the clutch is fully depressed.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the great answers. At 500 miles now, I noticed yesterday that actual gear shifter is now making a slightly annoying vibrating noise when I hit any gear around 2000 RPM. It's almost like a rattling noise and definitely new (not something that was present for the past week). It seems to be caused by the transmission vibration.

I'll probably take it in to the dealership Monday, but in the meantime, has anyone else heard this in theirs and if so, did it go away?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Thanks for the great answers. At 500 miles now, I noticed yesterday that actual gear shifter is now making a slightly annoying vibrating noise when I hit any gear around 2000 RPM. It's almost like a rattling noise and definitely new (not something that was present for the past week). It seems to be caused by the transmission vibration.

I'll probably take it in to the dealership Monday, but in the meantime, has anyone else heard this in theirs and if so, did it go away?

Thanks!!
someone in this thread just had a gear shifter rattle fixed.
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/2012-jku-gear-rattle-184703.html

note that there are different rattles in that thread. mine is a problem inside the trans.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
336 Posts
Does your rattle at 2,000 RPMs go away after driving for a bit, and mainly happen in lower gears like 2nd and 3rd?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Does your rattle at 2,000 RPMs go away after driving for a bit, and mainly happen in lower gears like 2nd and 3rd?
Mine does! And it's driving me crazy! I just noticed it yesterday. It does it in gear or neutral as long as the clutch is engaged. Thinking of taking it in for warranty since I also have the notorious cracked leaking exhaust manifold, as well as a leaking washer fluid tank. Just a hair over 16k too.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Almost the opposite! I don't hear it in 1st, not as much in 2nd, but then 3rd through 5th it's really prevalent. I feel like it's more likely to happen when I'm running the fan with a few notches of heat (without A/C on). It may not be a problem, but at the same time, I want to prevent any problems at 600 miles before I get too far in this Jeep since I actually bought it.

Mine does! And it's driving me crazy! I just noticed it yesterday. It does it in gear or neutral as long as the clutch is engaged. Thinking of taking it in for warranty since I also have the notorious cracked leaking exhaust manifold, as well as a leaking washer fluid tank. Just a hair over 16k too.:mad::mad::mad::mad:
Oh man, I'm sorry to hear about this stuff. At 16k, it's still pretty new! Are you an off-roader going over rocks and holes where this stuff may crack? I'm in NYC (Brooklyn) driving on mostly flat roads with some potholes here and there.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Oh, mine vibrates/rattles like a sex toy when in 3rd gear. Has been that way since I bought it and that was a month and 1700 miles ago. :banghead:

Actually, my first gear is a bit clunky... but that is about it.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Almost the opposite! I don't hear it in 1st, not as much in 2nd, but then 3rd through 5th it's really prevalent. I feel like it's more likely to happen when I'm running the fan with a few notches of heat (without A/C on). It may not be a problem, but at the same time, I want to prevent any problems at 600 miles before I get too far in this Jeep since I actually bought it.

Oh man, I'm sorry to hear about this stuff. At 16k, it's still pretty new! Are you an off-roader going over rocks and holes where this stuff may crack? I'm in NYC (Brooklyn) driving on mostly flat roads with some potholes here and there.
these rattles sound like mine. It's not considered normal. My trans is now out for the 2nd time and i'm waiting on parts.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
these rattles sound like mine. It's not considered normal. My trans is now out for the 2nd time and i'm waiting on parts.
I took at look at lemon laws. If it's in a Chrysler service center three times for the same issue and they can't fix it, you can push for a replacement vehicle. I'm not sure whether one has a certain number of miles until this is no longer in effect, but maybe it's worth a shot. And they should definitely compensate you for this -- as in Chrysler needs to make your monthly payment.

·
Registered
17 Posts

Not much off roading yet... Waiting till I can afford some better tires, these stock SRA's are junk

·
Registered
323 Posts

Thanks!!
I have the EXACT same issue. At first I thought it was something rattling inside the center console compartment. I moved the stuff out of there and it seemed to go away for a bit...but it's back. I notice it rarely does it when the engine is cold, but it becomes more frequent when the motor warms up. I only have 150 miles on mine, so I plan on giving it a couple weeks before taking it in if it persists.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have the EXACT same issue. At first I thought it was something rattling inside the center console compartment. I moved the stuff out of there and it seemed to go away for a bit...but it's back. I notice it rarely does it when the engine is cold, but it becomes more frequent when the motor warms up. I only have 150 miles on mine, so I plan on giving it a couple weeks before taking it in if it persists.
That's it! I did some more testing tonight. At first I thought it happened only when I ran the fan, but it appears to happen about 3 or 4 minutes after I begin driving (after about a 1.5 minute warmup period). Congrats on the new Jeep, Rich! Sounds like we're in the same boat. I'm going to ask the Chrysler mechanic to take a ride with me when I got get the actual plates hopefully this week or next and maybe he can offer up some advice. I really hate that they may have to take the tranny apart this early. It never goes back together the same.

One question that I asked earlier...since you have a stick, if you press your clutch pedal all the way down, do you get a clicking noise? I've gotten used to hearing it, I just don't remember it at first. 600 miles later, it's still there. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts