Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive acquired a fully stock 2013 2dr sport. Im stoked to start modding her out and get her on the trails, only problem is where to start. I have a ton of questions but I guess the main ones would be,

Can 35s run on a 2.5 lift?
Do i need to get the shocks and speed bumps with the lift?
Do i have to regear on 35s?
With the lift and the tires, do i need any extras like stabilizers, ect.

And finally, could I do this myself?

I have worked on my vehicles before, but all my expertise lies more along the two wheeled variety than the 4 and ive never done anything close to a lift before. Am I better off going to a shop? Id hate to miss out on the pride that comes with doing it myself, yet i would hate breaking my new jeep even more. Sorry for the long post, but in fairness ive been reading posts for about 2 weeks now and have narrowed my questions from 300,000 to just 5.

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
Ive acquired a fully stock 2013 2dr sport. Im stoked to start modding her out and get her on the trails, only problem is where to start. I have a ton of questions but I guess the main ones would be,

Can 35s run on a 2.5 lift?
Do i need to get the shocks and speed bumps with the lift?
Do i have to regear on 35s?
With the lift and the tires, do i need any extras like stabilizers, ect.

And finally, could I do this myself?
Yes
Yes to shocks and BUMP stops not speed bumps
You should
C gussets and some type of axle reinforcement especially the front (sleeve, truss). Add exhaust crossover.

If you are mechanically inclined, probably everything but gears and gusset/axle reinforcement (unless you can weld).

·
Registered
113 Posts
From poking around the site this is what it looks like...

add at least 4.10 gears
Add the minimum of 2.5" lift with stock fenders
add the minimum of c gussets
you don't NEED new shocks but the lifts are available with them, and bump stops are a good idea...

I did this pretty affordable.
Wheels and tires from tires direct 35/12.5/15 $1200 for all 5 mounted balanced shipped
C gussets from teraflex $42
spacer lift from rc $180
as for the regear, that is going to depend on the shop you choose, I imagine this can differ greatly, the ring and pinion seem to cost $400-$500 for both sets, then labor is around $100 an axle, a friend of mine had it done locally here and it cost him $600 even {included reprogram and all parts}, dropped it off in the morning picked it up at lunch, I thought that was a great deal.

As far as doing it your self, I would think the spacer kit most people could do, I am thinking the c gussets and regear most people would not be able to do. I don't think it has as much to do with skill {the regear takes a bit of feel and skill to complete and can end badly if not done correctly} as it does with the tools available. I have a lift, 3 welders, plasma cutter, 80ga compressor, and 2 tool boxes full of tools in a heated and cooled garage, so its not a huge deal for me, but for someone doing it in their yard with a 280 piece craftsman hand tool set and a floor jack, I think the $200 of labor it would cost, I would just drop it off...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts