Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know absolutely nothing about engines and I have to get a new one (it's knocking pretty bad / about to go out). I have the factory 2.5 liter in it but wanted to know what other engines could fit and if another size/type would be better.

Again Ik nothing about engines so I'm not sure if this info is relevant so just in case: 5 speed manual, 35" tires , 4" suspension , planing on upgrading to 6" suspension and possibly 1-2" body lift, daily driver ( interstate, city), but I also go trailing and mudding on occasion.

Thanks for any help. Please layman terms though xd.

·
Registered
945 Posts
With a 4banger, 6" lift No Way! N 4" prob way too much n 35s? I wouldn't - if you want that thing to move at all! Esp hiway speeds..No friggin way! Put At Least a 4.0L in there, preferably an 8cyl Good luck

·
Registered
98 TJ 4.0 Auto, 97 TJ 4.0 Manual, 98 TJ 2.5 Manual
613 Posts
So much wrong with this post...
Can you make a video of what makes you think the engine is bad. Lets start with that first lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So much wrong with this post...
Can you make a video of what makes you think the engine is bad. Lets start with that first lol
It was knocking so I took it to a shop. They said it's probably a rod and I'll have to put in a new engine. I just have no clue what engine will be best.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
It was knocking so I took it to a shop. They said it's probably a rod and I'll have to put in a new engine. I just have no clue what engine will be best.
Assuming you would do the work yourself...A reman 2.5L will be about $1300-$1700. Swapping in a 4.0L or V8 will be $5K+ as lots will have to be changed.

Having someone install either option...figure double the cost.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Assuming you would do the work yourself...A reman 2.5L will be about $1300-$1700. Swapping in a 4.0L or V8 will be $5K+ as lots will have to be changed.

Having someone install either option...figure double the cost.
YUP....... Stick with the 2.5 get rid of the 35" tires before the Dana 35 rear axles break, re-gear it to 4.88 or 5.13 with 33" tires and be happy.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I replaced my broken 2.5 with a recycled 2.5 from LKQ. swapping anything else in where the 2.5 came from will cost big bucks and lots of stuff to change. with your 97 model, you would need to stay with a 97 or 98 engine for the correct fitment of sensors and electrical connectors. I didn't like the reviews of installed remanufactured engines. yes get rid of the 33's and don't even consider 35's. stay with 31's or smaller. I am running 30's that were downsized from 31's. if your engine is not totaled, have it rebuilt. If you need more power, consider trading for a 4.0 jeep. true, we all want more power, but for now I am happy with my little 2.5. We tow our jeep behind our motor home and do not do any off road driving.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts