Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, first post here on wranglerforum, so hello everyone! i'm looking to get a jeep to replace my trusty 98 taco. i was looking into a 2011 unlimited, but in looking around i've found that the 07-11 models have a 3.8L V6, which is thought by many to be inferior to the old I6 4.0L (minivan motor, etc.) this is to 07-11 owners i guess: anyone have any trouble with that engine? i'm not a hard-core offroader, mainly flat trails and fields (no big rocks to crawl here in sc) with minimal modifications. i'm trying to gauge whether or not to wait for the 2012 with pentastar, as i found a pretty sweet deal on a 2011.

thanks guys!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have had an 08 and now a 2011 with the V6 and have had no problems with the engines in either one. Like you I am kind of a Flat lander, being from Florida, but I did take the 08 out west and did a little forest road and small rock climbing and the experience was great. I am thinking if you get a great deal on an 11 I would go for it, without worring about the engine or for that matter the rest of the vehicle either.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how many miles did you put on the 08? i'm mainly concerned that the V6 will fail sooner than the I6, and i want to put at least 150k on this jeep.

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts
The 3.8 V6 is a tried and true motor that has been around since the early 90's. It got it's start in the Dynasty contrary to popular lore. It has been a workhores in many mini-vans and many report 250k miles just as the I6 has done. Only time will tell with the 3.6. Look back here in 2022 for updates, or maybe sooner. :rofl:

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
The 3.8 is a tried and true engine. It is not new. With proper care you won't have a problem with mileage.
If you do go 2011 get a manual. The auto trans is where most of the "under powered" chat comes from, pair that with 2 extra doors and higher axle ratios is cause for most of any complaints. All can be fixed with regearing. Of coarse if you have the money-buy the 2012, this is a newer engine so it's hard to tell what the longevity will be.
Whatever you choose, you will be happy IMO

Welcome :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks all for your help. kjeeper--of course i'm going with a manual! jeep is one of the only places you can still get a manual trans truck (of sorts) that's not a stripped-out 4cyl POS. i heard it has an odd gear layout though?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lol likely won't be me--i'm going to save 10k and pick up the 11. the salesmen at the local dealership are pretty desperate to clear a big backlog of 11 unlimiteds before the new model year comes out, so i'm getting a steal.

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
pwnsumnubs said:
thanks all for your help. kjeeper--of course i'm going with a manual! jeep is one of the only places you can still get a manual trans truck (of sorts) that's not a stripped-out 4cyl POS. i heard it has an odd gear layout though?
The manual 6 speed?

I went from a Tj to a Jk and will admit- it is a totally different experience. The rubi 4:10 GR and 1st gear is really low. I was starting in 2nd for a bit, but now I'm using first. The tranny/clutch combo took a little while to get used to- but now I love it and is a blast to drive.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Ooh! Pick me! Pick me!

Or not...I can see either side of things.

If you can get a good deal on an 11 (or earlier) and are happy with the way it drives, you've found a perfect vehicle.

If you can get a good deal on a 12 and are happy with the way it drives, you've found a perfect vehicle.

I (personally) prefer the performance of the 12...just my preference, and based on my driving habits.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
OP, I think you'll be content with either engine. In the rpm range that 90% of all driving is done there isn't much difference between the two. The 3.6 is noticably peppier, but it isn't an earthmoving difference. I ended up ordering a 2012 not because of the engine, but because I couldn't find the options I wanted in a 2011. There is a $1000 incentive for the '11 or 0% financing, but the fact that I couldn't find the one I wanted that didn't have over $1000 in stuff I didn't want made the incentives invalid. I'm getting a 12 exactly how I want it for about $2000 less than an 11 that was as close as I could get.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
jk is the 07-11 model, yes? anyway, yes the 6 speed manual. i've been driving stick forever and don't want to give up now! can't afford the rubi though, just sticking with the sport model (or whatever they call the one with just power windows and doorlocks).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OP, I think you'll be content with either engine. In the rpm range that 90% of all driving is done there isn't much difference between the two. The 3.6 is noticably peppier, but it isn't an earthmoving difference. I ended up ordering a 2012 not because of the engine, but because I couldn't find the options I wanted in a 2011. There is a $1000 incentive for the '11 or 0% financing, but the fact that I couldn't find the one I wanted that didn't have over $1000 in stuff I didn't want made the incentives invalid. I'm getting a 12 exactly how I want it for about $2000 less than an 11 that was as close as I could get.
if you don't mind me asking, how much did that 12 run you? i might order anyway considering the dealer doesn't have the color i like, and if i did so i would go ahead and do the 12.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
if you don't mind me asking, how much did that 12 run you? i might order anyway considering the dealer doesn't have the color i like, and if i did so i would go ahead and do the 12.
$25,500 with the options in my sig.

Everything on the lots that we could find had Sirius, Connectivity and a hardtop, which all add up to about $1300. We absolutely did NOT want a hardtop, so we would have had to buy a soft top and sell the hard top at a loss, which put us about another $600-700 in the hole on the deal. Many also had a towing package, which isn't really a bad thing other than the only thing you get for your money is the Trailer Sway Control which isn't a big deal for me. I'll save $120 to lose that and add my own hitch and wiring.

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts
jk is the 07-11 model, yes? anyway, yes the 6 speed manual. i've been driving stick forever and don't want to give up now! can't afford the rubi though, just sticking with the sport model (or whatever they call the one with just power windows and doorlocks).
JK is the 07-12 model.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
really? even with the slush mats and nonstock wheels and bumpers? that's pretty awesome, maybe i should order a 2012 :)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts