Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some questions that may sound stupid, i am asking the pro's for some direction. Heres my dilemma, couple of months ago i bought a 1989 wrangler from a police impound auction (not bad shape, new tires, no top came with clear title) i got it started and has a heavy knock in the motor. In my search for a motor on craigslist i ran into a guy selling a 1997 wrangler for parts or salvage (no title) the 97 runs great as is very clean also. They are both 6 cly. but the 97 is injected and 89 has carb. I would like to make one street legal. Is the swap possible? Or am i stuck with a jeep just to go mudding in?any and all comments, directions, and ideas would be greatly appreciated. By the way the 1997 was part of a bankruptcy in which the financial leinholder didnt think it was worth picking up.

·
Registered
406 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
It is an easy swap. Definitely go with the fuel injected.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I also believe that I would make the swap to efi motor. It will take a little time with the wiring, but I belive it would be worth it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats which way i am leaning. What is the difficulty rating on a 1-10 basis. I have all the tools and a lift in the garage. has anyone here done them before? And what are key points to watch out for?

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you're getting the whole Jeep, then everything you need is in it. but the tranny and t-case will be a bit different so you might wanna consider swapping them too, since the TJ units are better. But that'll mean you'll want a posi lok for the front axle.

·
Registered
270 Posts
i did it with an obd1 motor 1995 it was cake the obd2 will be a little more difficult because of wiring. the motor will bolt right up to what you have assuming you have the ax15 trans if not everything from the other should work any questions let us know well get em answered

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
If you are getting the WHOLE '97 model...no problem at all!!! I mated a 1990 YJ and a 2005 TJ..street legal!!!!

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
ya, if you get the whole tj you'll be fine. fuel injected will be much better after all the work than the carb. it will be cheaper and way easier to put a long block in your yj, but i'd say go for the 4.0.

i'm putting the 4.0 in my 87, also building a stroker at the same time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts