Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

This is great forum and wealth of knowledge.

I am looking to get in the wrangler world. Started looking at the Sahara, liked the Altitude trim look with the different color grill, loved the Willys (no leather seats) and now thinking about the Rubicon :)

In the journey of getting to know wranglers, read, learnt and got confused about to have or not to have lockers, 3.73 vs 4.10, don't know what is right for me. Don't know where and how much will I go off-roading, will this be a secondary vehicle or will I trade in my 2013 Beamer :)

So, here come the questions, be gentle :)

What is holding me from Rubicon, if this is my primary vehicle, how will the mud tires affect daily driving, city and highway, not worried about mpg, but comfort and noise (As compared to Sahara or Willys)

What is holding me from Willys, leather seats option not available, not finding same color fenders and top with dealers, no lockers.

What's holding me from Sahara, silver color bumpers, different color grill, no lockers.

I know some of this is not an issue just a choice, but I am still not decided so I thought I will let it out here and maybe see the light

·
Build Thread Queen
13,189 Posts
Tires are easily changeable.

Willys Wheelers are not available with body colored tops/fenders. That's why you can't find any.

The silver appliqué on the Sahara bumpers is easily removable.

Rubicon is the ONLY model with lockers, unless it's a special edition. I don't think there are any locker special editions available to custom order right now, so you'd have to find something on the lot.

From most of your posts, I'd say it sounds like you are trying to justify the cost of a rubicon to yourself. Judging by the number of people here who thought about buying a rubicon and didn't that wind up trading it in on a new rubicon within a year or two, if you can afford it, bite the bullet and buy the rubicon now.

Good luck! :)

·
Registered
188 Posts
My willys has the rubicon wheels and tires. Driving on the highway and around town is surprisingly smooth. I've received lots of comments and compliments in how smooth it is with aggressive mud tires on. Test drive it and you'll see what I mean.

·
Retired Mod
11,133 Posts
Hi everyone,

This is great forum and wealth of knowledge.

I am looking to get in the wrangler world. Started looking at the Sahara, liked the Altitude trim look with the different color grill, loved the Willys (no leather seats) and now thinking about the Rubicon :)

In the journey of getting to know wranglers, read, learnt and got confused about to have or not to have lockers, 3.73 vs 4.10, don't know what is right for me. Don't know where and how much will I go off-roading, will this be a secondary vehicle or will I trade in my 2013 Beamer :)

So, here come the questions, be gentle :)

What is holding me from Rubicon, if this is my primary vehicle, how will the mud tires affect daily driving, city and highway, not worried about mpg, but comfort and noise (As compared to Sahara or Willys)

What is holding me from Willys, leather seats option not available, not finding same color fenders and top with dealers, no lockers.

What's holding me from Sahara, silver color bumpers, different color grill, no lockers.

I know some of this is not an issue just a choice, but I am still not decided so I thought I will let it out here and maybe see the light
Welcome to WF...

The hardest part about picking a model is knowing in advance how you will use the vehicle.

I knew I would not do a lot of hard core off-roading, so that ruled the Rubi out for me....and that has held true. Others have said they would not do a lot of hard core off-roading, purchased a non-Rubi....and a year later were trading it in on a Rubi.

Leather? Saddle leather was a must for me. But as far as leather goes, your options are Sahara based, Rubi based, maybe a Freedom Edition (partial leather) or see if Jeep is still offering the Katzkin packages on Sports.

BTW, one of the first things I did with my Sahara was remove the bumper covers.

Lockers? That is Rubi territory only. You can get a rear locker on the Polar (Sahara based), but at that point, you would be better off buying a Rubi and getting all of the other features.

As far as wheels go....a lot of people swap wheels anyway.

Good luck...

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all,

I think I am trying to convince myself in buying a Rubi, that polar would be nice with back lockers but at that price Rubi is the way to go.

Thanks for the tip on the city driving, that was what actually I was looking for, that with the test drive might make me decide to keep only one vehicle.

As for needing Rubi later, I know if I buy it I will need it, I have driven Wrangler's cousin "Mahindra Jeep" in the remote mountain country side of Himalayas a lot, some with leaf springs :) so I just need to get used to the Texas swamp and slip and slide.

·
Administrator
2020 Jeep Gladiator
43,337 Posts
Well, I don't have anything to add to what's already been said, so I'll just say . . .

Welcome to the forum! :wavey:

_______
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)

Click here for helpful tips for newcomers

·
Registered
617 Posts
I'll give you a straight answer. Do you want the Rubicon? If so, get the Rubicon. If you don't you'll regret the decision every time you see a Rubicon.

I have a Rubicon and I don't mind the mud tires. The handling and ride quality is OK. Its a jeep with solid axles, its not going ride smoothly. The tire noise is minimal and I don't notice it most of the time. Sometimes, when driving topless or naked, I find myself turning the radio off so I can hear the tires hum. It's surprisingly soothing.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Tires are easily changeable.

Willys Wheelers are not available with body colored tops/fenders. That's why you can't find any.

The silver appliqué on the Sahara bumpers is easily removable.

Rubicon is the ONLY model with lockers, unless it's a special edition. I don't think there are any locker special editions available to custom order right now, so you'd have to find something on the lot.

From most of your posts, I'd say it sounds like you are trying to justify the cost of a rubicon to yourself. Judging by the number of people here who thought about buying a rubicon and didn't that wind up trading it in on a new rubicon within a year or two, if you can afford it, bite the bullet and buy the rubicon now.

Good luck! :)

I think the X is available to order which would be nice if the OP can justify the cost.

Whatever you decide on....Good Luck and welcome to forum!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the welcome .....I think I am getting on the Rubicon bus.

One question, I never driven an auto off-roading, so what do you do if you can't climb a hill, a short hill, in a manual I would go for it, and if I couldn't go over, I would press the clutch and brake and roll back to the base of the hill, and try again.

How do you do this in an auto, just let the throttle go and use brakes, or do you have to put neutral ?

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Thanks for the welcome .....I think I am getting on the Rubicon bus.

One question, I never driven an auto off-roading, so what do you do if you can't climb a hill, a short hill, in a manual I would go for it, and if I couldn't go over, I would press the clutch and brake and roll back to the base of the hill, and try again.

How do you do this in an auto, just let the throttle go and use brakes, or do you have to put neutral ?
Haven't driven an auto off-road but I assume that is how you would do it.

I bought a 2dr sport first and then traded that in on a 4dr sport. I did a bit off off-roading on the 2dr and it was fine. Get the rubicon if you think you will be off roading. Otherwise if your going landi jeep style; a sport will do :happyyes:

My 4dr is a mish mash of sport/Sahara/rubicon parts. I don't have lockers or 4.10; yet. My jeep is a canvas and I paint it along the way. Click link in my sig for details.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Haven't driven an auto off-road but I assume that is how you would do it.

I bought a 2dr sport first and then traded that in on a 4dr sport. I did a bit off off-roading on the 2dr and it was fine. Get the rubicon if you think you will be off roading. Otherwise if your going landi jeep style; a sport will do :happyyes:

My 4dr is a mish mash of sport/Sahara/rubicon parts. I don't have lockers or 4.10; yet. My jeep is a canvas and I paint it along the way. Click link in my sig for details.
I shift into neutral or reverse (usually) Go for the Rubi if you can afford it. The overall cost with resale is worth it. You can always add Katzkin leather to the Willys or add a black grille to any other model too.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a question"...........

I have been looking for an auto Rubicon with 3.73, mainly cos I am in Texas and wont be doing hardcore rock crawling and won't have steep rock crawling places to go and 3.73 would suffice me (just my reasoning, but I am a newbie),

So I can't get the trim I am looking for in 3.73 but there is a sweet deal on a 4.11. I don't see myself going bigger than 33" probably stay stock mud tires. I have read of the rpm difference at 70 mph between 3.73 vs 4.11

So, is my reasoning of staying with 3.73 is good or not ?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have a question"........... I have been looking for an auto Rubicon with 3.73, mainly cos I am in Texas and wont be doing hardcore rock crawling and won't have steep rock crawling places to go and 3.73 would suffice me (just my reasoning, but I am a newbie), So I can't get the trim I am looking for in 3.73 but there is a sweet deal on a 4.11. I don't see myself going bigger than 33" probably stay stock mud tires. I have read of the rpm difference at 70 mph between 3.73 vs 4.11 So, is my reasoning of staying with 3.73 is good or not ?
Your question is a little hard to follow but if I understand what you're trying to decide I'd go with the 4.10 gears.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry about that.......yes, debating between 3.73 vs 4.10 (I know it's dead horse) but just trying to see what is best for me.

The concern is higher rpm on highway with the 4.10 at 70 mph, is that a load on the engine and is it more noisy than the 3.73 at same speed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Rubi is rough for everyday

I just picked up my black on black Altitude Unlimited and decided against the Rubi because the ride was a bit too reminiscent of my 98 Land Rover Defender 90. I am selling my daily driver (740i) for this bad boy and will use it everyday. The Sahara (Altitude, Polar or regular) is smooth for everyday especially given what it can do off road but is obviously not the same machine as the Rubi. For me, I prefer a bit more comfort at the expense of some off road capabilities. As for the lockers on the Polar, that is a nice compromise between the Sahara and the Rubi. Good luck with whatever you choose.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Got My First Wave

I had my Wrangler Unlimited Altitude for less than one hour and a guy in a black Rubi gave me the wave. Reminds me of my motorcycle days. I love the fact that there is a passionate community of Jeep owners out there that share a connection to these awesome vehicles.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Sorry about that.......yes, debating between 3.73 vs 4.10 (I know it's dead horse) but just trying to see what is best for me.

The concern is higher rpm on highway with the 4.10 at 70 mph, is that a load on the engine and is it more noisy than the 3.73 at same speed.
With the same tires you wont notice a difference in sound. I'd go with the 4.10s too but neither would be a dealbreaker for your concerns.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I just came out of a ford focus titanium lease (performance low profile tires) and my rubicon X has less road/tire noise than my focus. Sure, the handling isnt as nice and tight but from a sound/comfort level the rubi absorbs the pot holes that would jar my whole body in the focus and makes almost imperceptible.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.