Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new 2012 sport. I asked the dealer about the roof and did not get a confident answers. So here is my question, is there any combination of the 3 hardtop panels that I should avoid. I was told it does not matter and I can take off and leave on whichever panels I feel like in any configuration. For example only have front passenger panel on. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
There is no combination to avoid. The trick is when you decide to put any of the panels back on, that you do it properly and don't over tighten it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had the same problem the dealer didnt explain anything about the top just a quick "There are 3 pieces they're easy to take off" clearly didnt know how to do it.

Is there a specific way/order to take them off or put them back on?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was told that you had to take off the drivers panel first, then the passenger and last the back. What do you mean by "over tightening"? I've got some wind noise and perhaps this is my problem :(

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The order you list is correct (drivers, passenger, then back) per the manual. And reverse the order to put on. I suspect the "over tighten" has to do with the screws that go into the rear of the front sections. When I put mine back on today (it was only 50 degrees but drove around all day with both fronts off :) ) I wanted to screw the crap out of them, but then remembered the advice and only snugged them. Just as quite now as when I drove it off the lot. Thanks to bbjt for the advice. BTW, I just assumed that I would be getting a soft top in the future, but now I am not sure. The fronts are so easy to take on and off so I may just drop the rear for the summer.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Katalst is correct about the screws.

4ducksrus, it's a jeep, you're going to get wind noise. You can experiment with tightening and loosening the screws, to see if it helps. Other than that, the only other thing I can think of is installing a headliner.

·
Registered
937 Posts
bbtj said:
There is no combination to avoid. The trick is when you decide to put any of the panels back on, that you do it properly and don't over tighten it.
These are the 2 screws in the sound bar... He is exactly right.. They actually made the screws a little shorter a couple years ago because guys were tightening them right through the fiberglass! But you can still puncture the fiberglass in today's model, so be careful!

Tighten snug... They will actually come a little loose due to vibration until they begin to seat (during break in period).. Once the screws seat, everything will be fine.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Not to sound too picky but is there a torque spec for those screws? Just asking out of curiosity.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Ggg said:
Not to sound too picky but is there a torque spec for those screws? Just asking out of curiosity.
Not that I have seen...They say 'hand-tighten', which is different for everyone! Some guys just remove them altogether and don't have any issues... Just BE CAREFUL: Guys have punctured the fiberglass bcuz there's no 'stop'.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts