Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've built some pretty serious SJ's in my time, but no real experience with any technology after 1979!

I've recently purchased a 2001 wrangler, and want to run small lift for 33" tires. From what can research, the OME 2" + 1" body lift is kind of the standard.

Being a youtube-certified-mechanic (lol), I started there to watch an install. When they get to the rear track bar, I see them installing an adapter bracket for the rear track bar where the drill into the frame to install the new bracket, seems easy enough.

But then I see other threads that reference getting a new, adjustable track bar. HOWEVER, when I look at the Currie or JKS track bars, they still appear to come with an adapter bracket. So I'm confused and wondering if I'm just seeing this the wrong way.

Basic question is, if I get a rear adjustable trackbar, do I even need the adjuster bracket?

Thanks!
Brad

·
Registered
69 Posts
I can't answer your questions, but I have a 3" lift with stock rear track bar and relocation bracket. My rear axle is centered to less than 1/4" with the frame, but is not noticeable with my fender flares. Driving it you can't feel any difference.

My guess as to why you want an adapter bracket is to create clearance between the track bar and your gas tank skid.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,420 Posts
For 33x12.5 tires on a TJ, 4" of additional clearance is recommended... like a 3" suspension lift plus a 1" body lift. A 2" SL plus a 1" BL isn't enough if you take your Jeep offroad.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Off Road use would be pretty lightweight, forest/hunting trails and scenic rides with the top off. 32x11.50's would probably work just as well for what I'm doing.

Any advise on the track bar question?

If I get a rear adjustable trackbar, would I still need the spacer doohickey that comes with the EMU kit? I don't get why I would need to adapt it up if it's adjustable. The front doesn't seem to work that way.

Thanks!
Brad

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
yes the TB needs to be put back to as level a position as possible.
this is done with a dropped frame bracket (not very popular) or a raised axle bracket (what most opt for).
an adjustable TB alone will reach the new spot and hold the axle centered but will also allow it to swing/shift hard to the passenger side when it droops and back to drivers side when compressed.
the more lift there is, the more evident this will be.
a level TB will keep the axles travel arc tight and mostly an up n down movement.
the steeper the angle the more left to right shifting occurs when the axles moves up or down.

an ideal rear TB is dead flat/level across the rig.

the front has it's own rules to keep the steering working correctly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts