Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!! So I ordered the Rough Country 653.20 2.5 inch suspension lift and that only comes with shocks and coils. I have a couple of questions..... do I need the TC drop spacers? Do I need the front and rear TB relocation plates? And what size tires can i run? (I was going to stick with a 15x8 wheel) this is not something I plan on crawling or trailing at this point if that helps.

I did order the Rough Country steering stabilizer as well.

2002 TJ 4.0L bone stock at this point.

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

Have a great weekend!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
My 04 4.0l TJ came with the same lift installed by PO. I have since added a 3/4" TC drop to eliminate rear driveline vibe. I installed the RC trackbar bracket in the rear. Installed a JKS adjustable track bar in front. Do not install a track bar relocation bracket in the front. This will mess up the relationship/geometry of the track bar and steering causing bumpsteer. I also recommend you do the ZJ steering upgrade at the same time as the front adjustable track bar. I am running level 8 wheels 15x8 with 3.75" backspacing and 33x12.5 tires with 1" of bumpstop extension. After all this I had to regear bc the thing was a dog on the highway in O/D. If you decide to regear have them do the wheel/hub bearings and ball joints. Regear with master install kit, hub bearings, ball joints, rear True trac and front Power Trax no-slip cost me about 2.8k. Track bar 200, rear bracket 30, ZJ steering 200. Hope this helps, good luck and remember it's just money lol.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
I would install a motor mount lift before dropping the t-case skid any more than is necessary. Use stacked washers instead of the supplied spacer.

The rear trackbar relocation bracket is a good thing to install. Leave the front alone until you feel you need an adjustable trackbar.

32" tires will be about right for a 2.5" lift. 33's need about 4" of total lift to in order to not compromise suspension travel.

Learn how to correctly extend your bump stops by removing the coils and cycling the suspension.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The best advice I can offer is to take your jeep out for its intended purpose.
Most likely I will since the back roads here in Kodiak are insanely riddles with big holes lol. So, when I say I won't off-road I mean not by choice......i won't have a choice.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My 04 4.0l TJ came with the same lift installed by PO. I have since added a 3/4" TC drop to eliminate rear driveline vibe. I installed the RC trackbar bracket in the rear. Installed a JKS adjustable track bar in front. Do not install a track bar relocation bracket in the front. This will mess up the relationship/geometry of the track bar and steering causing bumpsteer. I also recommend you do the ZJ steering upgrade at the same time as the front adjustable track bar. I am running level 8 wheels 15x8 with 3.75" backspacing and 33x12.5 tires with 1" of bumpstop extension. After all this I had to regear bc the thing was a dog on the highway in O/D. If you decide to regear have them do the wheel/hub bearings and ball joints. Regear with master install kit, hub bearings, ball joints, rear True trac and front Power Trax no-slip cost me about 2.8k. Track bar 200, rear bracket 30, ZJ steering 200. Hope this helps, good luck and remember it's just money lol.
Wow! A lot of info!! Thanks!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would install a motor mount lift before dropping the t-case skid any more than is necessary. Use stacked washers instead of the supplied spacer.

The rear trackbar relocation bracket is a good thing to install. Leave the front alone until you feel you need an adjustable trackbar.

32" tires will be about right for a 2.5" lift. 33's need about 4" of total lift to in order to not compromise suspension travel.

Learn how to correctly extend your bump stops by removing the coils and cycling the suspension.
Thanks! I have been looking to stick with 31s so I don't have to regear....which I hear you NEED to do with 32s, but I won't be on a highway for at least 3 years when I transfer again. Just a few roads in Kodiak and hitting 5th gear doesn't happen often.

From some YouTube videos about the RC 2.5 inch lift, none mention adding or missing anything and they claim it can be road ready with just the lift.....but I would think the rear bracket would be necessary at the least. Of course not even Amazon will send the bracket to Kodiak so I will ship to my brother in VA for him to mail to me with the lift and steering stabilizer.

I will look in to bump stops too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts