Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help please
Purchased 2004 auto Sahara right Hand Drive.
When in for servicing at non-jeep garage been told that it has a problem
With central Differential when turning 90degree or trying to do a U turn.
These actions cause a severe shuddering back up through the steering.

Is this correct? And if so is it an expensive fix?

Thank you so much for any help!
Scotland is cold wet and windy but no Snow !!
the doc

·
Administrator
30,785 Posts
2 questions...Did they happen to have it in 4WD when doing these turns or does the Jeep have oversized tires (larger than stock)?

Oops, just noticed that this is your 1st post Welcome to the Forum

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Never been to Scotland before, but been to Wales. Welcome!

My first thought was that is sounds like you may have had it in 4WD like the previius poster said. Please confirm.

Does it do this in 2WD too?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for your kind welcome and suggestions re my problem with
my 2004 Sahara Auto.

In answer to your question
Yes I think it is in 2wd as the engagement lever is in it's most forward
Position at 2L I believe.

Any thoughts?
God Bless All

The Doc

·
Registered
811 Posts
First confirm that you're not in 4wd. Go somewhere that has a soft surface - dirt or gravel - and when it is safe to do so, stomp on the throttle. If in 2wd then only the rear tire(s) will be spinning and throwing debris.

If not, and you are actually stuck in 4wd, then perhaps there is something amiss with the shifter linkage. You could disconnect it from the t'case and manually cycle the selector on the t'case to make sure it was all the way into 2wd. Then tie it in that position and go re-test the spinning tire test, above. If the problem still persisted, perhaps there is something amiss internally?

More likely, though, the feedback you're getting is not derived from the t'case, but from the front axle u-joints being badly worn and dry. There will always be some degree of feedback at full lock with u-joints in the front axle (as opposed to constant-velocity joints, birfields, etc.), and there will be markedly more if that axle is being driven in 4wd, but the sort of pulsating feedback that you're likely receiving is probably the front axle joints binding due to being worn out and/or dry.

In that case, you will need to replace the front axle joints. This is a simple, but time consuming, process, but one that should be done at the first sign of need (or even beforehand, as a preventative maintenance item) rather than when the joint fails. You may wish to replace your front unit-bearings (unitized hub-bearing assemblies that are not serviceable as old-style bearings-on-a-spindle are) since you have to pop the unit-bearings out to pull the axle shafts out anyway. This would also be a good time to refresh any other front axle bits that need attention, notably ball joints and brakes, since they all require the same basic labor process as replacing the axle joints requires. My local off-road/Jeep specialty shop charges $150.00 USD per side to do the axle joints, with the replacements being Spicer joints. Oh, and be sure to change your front differential lubricant while you're at it, too, since you may well push debris back into the differential when reinstalling the front axle shafts.

Also consider, and be forewarned that others will likely disagree with me on this point, installing greaseable front axle joints. Yes, they are somewhat less strong than permanently lubricated joints, as the permanently lubricated ones have not been drilled through-and-through to permit grease to flow to each of the four bearing caps. But being able to get in there and re-grease them on a regular interval has been advantageous to me, based on the kind of use that my Jeep sees - frequently submerged in sandy, silty water - and it may be advantageous to you, too.

·
Administrator
30,785 Posts
I'm assuming that you mean 2H which would mean that it is not your 4wd binding up. It could be a number of suspension related things. You did not mention whether you had stock wheels and tires so that still has not been ruled out. Most suspension parts are pretty easy to replace, it's just figuring out which it is that can be a pain.

Try posting your question in the TJ section of the forum where you will get more views and replies from others who have faced similar problems.dee

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Doc

Thank you again
Yes, I did mean 2H. And the tires are large chunky tires which look
Like mud tires. Could that be an issue?

The 2 / 4 wheel engagement lever is difficult to move.
Again does that suggest anything?

I do appreciate the advice and I am so glad I joined this great forum!

The Doc

·
Administrator
30,785 Posts
If the tires are oversized and the backspacing has not been adjusted, then the tires could be rubbing against steering components when making sharp turns. This issue is easily fixed by adding a few washers behind the wheel. To check, have someone turn the wheel to full turn while you look underneath to see if the tires are hitting any of the other components.

As to shifting into 4wd, are you in motion when attempting to shift? You can shift into
4H at just about any speed and 4L at a crawl.

·
Registered
811 Posts
The 2 / 4 wheel engagement lever is difficult to move. Again does that suggest anything?
It suggests that something is amiss. It should move freely and without great effort. Take a look at and lubricate the linkage and see if that helps.

A quick diagnostic visit to the Jeep dealership or a shop that is familiar with Jeeps might not be a bad idea.

·
Administrator
30,785 Posts
Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Will do
We are having terrible storms in Scotland
100 plus miles per hr winds, rain etc
Great Wrangler weather, but all the
Jeep dealers closed !!!
The Doc

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
jamesblair said:
Will do
We are having terrible storms in Scotland
100 plus miles per hr winds, rain etc
Great Wrangler weather, but all the
Jeep dealers closed !!!
The Doc
Hi Guys
You were all partially correct the problem
lay in 2 areas. Firstly, needed to fit spacers
to oversize tyres. Secondly, had to have the linkage for engaging 4 Wheel drive as
it was misaligned and partially engaged.

All good now, thank God.
Thanks to all again for your kind assistance.
The Doc

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Great news!!! Glad it was solved for you!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts