Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my 1st post here...just got my '05 Rubicon a few days ago. I feel like it is in really good mechanical condition but the silver/gray fender flares are really streaked and discolored. Where would be the best place to search for replacements? Thanks so much and I appreciate tour help.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Just paint them with your choice of rattlecan. My favorite right now is rustoleum texuted.

I got tired of paint on the fenders so i just Line-Xed mine and it is much more durable now.

·
Registered
161 Posts
save the money if they just need a coat of paint. you can even paint them to what ever color you wish. i am going to do mine green this weekend.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I should have said that they are the plastic/fiberglass type - not metal fender flares. Thanks

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
id have to agree with the majority and say to paint them. a lot of people use krylon fusion satin black. it holds up well and looks good. make sure you sand down the flares with 220 then 500 grit sand paper so the paint will adhere to the surface better.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Krylon Fusion satin black is way too shiny for me. I sprayed my stock flares with Rustoleum truck bed coating- much better! Now they're just sitting in as box though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hadn't thought about painting them.....good idea. Any other tips for me besides sanding them down a bit?

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
when i painted the ones on a jeep that i sold, i sanded them down with 100 grit sand paper (way too rough, it left lines in the flares) because the paint will stick to the chalk instead of the plastic. so when the chalk starts to wear away and flake off, so will the paint.

So, sand them all down with 220 grit and get all of the chalky stuff off, then come back over it with 500 grit to smooth out any sanding lines left in the flares.

You can either take them off, which can be difficult in some areas because you have to hold the backs to the screws and stuff.
or you could leave them on and tape up everything, which is what I did.

Make sure you get them nice and clean and wash them with some dawn on a rag and bucket. once they are dry wipe them down with a dry rag.

tape everything up/take them off and paint 3-4 coats on there. read the cans instructions on how to do the coating, they know whats best for their paint.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I bought a harbour freight heat gun for 10 bucks and did one side of my 04 tonight in driveway. Not perfect, but they look a whole lot better. It was starting to get cool out but it only took me a half hour for the one side. I'll do the other tomorrow.

·
Registered
278 Posts
pdblue said:
Hadn't thought about painting them.....good idea. Any other tips for me besides sanding them down a bit?
Sand, wash, degrease with some kind of dish soap or rubbing alcohol (ive always used dish soap so i dont get the alcohol on my paint) - if they are conpletely off the jeep I usually use mineral spirits, then let it dry, and lastly paint.

I've used plasti-dip before, but im not a fan. Its a lot of work to put on, it scratches and peels off easily (which is its recommended usage anyways), and its somewhat hard to get an even texture.

never used krylon, but lots of people like that - too shiny for me.

Ive used rustoleum bed liner on quite a few things and IMO its nearly impossible to screw up. I always accidentally overspray everything and once the bedliner dries you cant even tell. Plus its got a kind of cool flat black texturized look.

You can also use a heat gun to revitalize them, but ive heard it can be very, very difficult to do this evenly. Not sure ive ever heard of a real success story with the heat gun method.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Im about to paint my too, however im thinking of getting rid off rear flares and install side protector bar just underneath of the hard top, any thoughts on this mod?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm thinking of bedlining my flares as well but my 02 Sahara black, do you think it would look good with bedlined fender flares with black paint and black wheels?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Lee_WeeZie said:
I'm thinking of bedlining my flares as well but my 02 Sahara black, do you think it would look good with bedlined fender flares with black paint and black wheels?
It would just be flat black is all instead of gloss black...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts