Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! Just purchased a 'new to me' 1990 Wrangler with the 2.5 engine. Got it for a steal, as it doesn't run.

The gent I bought it from told me his mechanic told him that it had jumped time. So, I pulled the timing cover today, and low and behold, it's dead on from what I can see.

The engine cranks fine, and I do get spark when I'm cranking it.

I pulled one of the two hard lines going to the throttle body, and when cranking nothing comes out. (Gas line). I'm thinking either fuel pump, or filter, but wanted to ask the collective.

When I turn the key into the run position, I do hear a very loud whine for a moment or so, then it turns off. Sounds like the pump could be getting power, but nothing is coming out the other end.

I'm thinking:

- Remove fuel filter, see if gas comes out when I turn the key on for a moment. If not, it's the pump.

Not looking forward to dropping the tank in this thing, but I will if I have to.

Does this seem like a sound action plan? Last Jeep I had was a 89 Wrangler Sahara 4.0, so I'm new to the 2.5 engine.

Anyone have any words of wisdom to give me a hand?

Many thanks for any info!

Jay

·
Registered
15 Posts
Does it have gas? Lol jk. But from what I know, your plan of attack seems legit. Start chopping down the line till you find your answer.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts