Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any bug deflectors worth buying out there? I've had my used 2000 TJ for about 2 months now and since it's getting warmer, the bugs are out and attacking the hell out of my almost vertical windshield. Any ideas? Anybody solved this messy problem?

thanks,

Nick
(I'm also new to blogs and forums, etc.)

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Are there any bug deflectors worth buying out there?
(I'm also new to blogs and forums, etc.)
well welcome to WF, I'm also fairly new here. with my experiance with bug deflectors I don't think that they would help much with the wrangler windshields. the deflectors are ment for vehicles with a "leaning" windshield. I don't think that it would be a worthy investment myself. Of course if you have your windshield covered in mud and dirt anyway what is it gonna matter that a few bugs ended their life by your jeeps hand?:D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks fox. It's just frustrating to wash it and then have bug guts all over it again 5 minutes down the road.
Has anybody actually tried a bug deflector? Had success? Recommendations if I decide to give one a try?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,072 Posts
I've heard and read bug deflectors help with Wranglers Bossfan 427. However, I'd rather have the bugs on my windshield than have a bug deflector on the front of my Wrangler. ;)

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
ya I understand the frustration, but I have to agree with Jerry Bransford on this one. the only deflectors I've seen are pretty bulky and ugly. but thats one persons opnion. good luck on finding one that suits you.

·
Registered
73 Posts
If you are talking about a plastic piece on the front of the hood, I have one of those. It was on there when I bought my rig from a soccer mom years ago. Hasn't done anything to stop the splash of June bugs, etc. on the windshield. It has been the only trinket to survive unscathed, whereas her window rainshields, plastic steps, and Ricky Racer coffee can exhaust got scraped off on trees and rocks in short order.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I use Turtle Wax Bug b Gone on mine and it work great cleans the bugs tree sap tar etc then leaves some kinda protective film that make the bugs an what not almost wipe right of and as far as the windshield goes I squeegy mine at the gas station takes about 2 minutes and keeps my Jeep from lookin gay with a deflector.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey...thanks everybody for the responses. Kinda glad they apparently don't work well b/c they do ruin the look. bug-b-gone was a good suggestion. Think I'll go with that option.
Thanks again everybody.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
I agree there are a few things you can put on the windshield, I use mainly rain-X, then use Bug-B-Gone stuff on the windshield when I wash it. but rain-x has always worked well for me on all my rigs, becides it looks cool when you see one of those big juicy bugs splat and bead off the glass.:flipoff:

·
WINNAR!!!!!!
6,805 Posts
My wifes jeep came with a bug deflector installed on the hood. At first I didn't mind it but the looks started to get to me. Then a couple weekends ago we took a 4 hour drive to Disney, OK. That long of a drive learned me a few lessons about bug deflectors.

1.) They don't work. Period.
2.) The hood dances around constantly. I kept freaking out thinking I had a driveline vibe but realized the vibration was caused by the hoods movement. It was extremely bad even for a jeep hood.
3.) They are very easy to remove.
4.) The jeep just looks so much better without them.

I ditched it once we got home. I added it to the pile of crap parts in the corner.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well, here is my 2 cents worth. I am tired of cleaning bugs off after every drive.

I bought a bug shield from quadratec AND so far I am very happy. It cuts down on the bug guts by about 75%, in my opinion.

It is the bugflector by auto vent shade.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Bling Bling...........it looks like a damn unibrow.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,072 Posts
If I installed a bug catcher onto my TJ like in the above pic, I'd get laughed off the trail. :flipoff:

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
The OEM style works well, however if you really really want to avoid bugs on the windshield and other places you will need a can of PAM, works great on the lights. The other option, drop your windshield and get a pair or two of snoopy goggles...:D
The bud deflector on my xj, factory OEM, stops alot of rocks..

·
Registered
237 Posts
Plexus works GREAT for headlights, mirrors and other shiney surfaces that collect bugs. I've used it on my bike windscreen and my helmet and visor for years.

It's kind of expensive (for the amout you get), but you can get any number of knock-off brands from your local motorcycle shop. Yamaha and Honda both have their own version of this that work well.

·
Registered
169 Posts
If I installed a bug catcher onto my TJ like in the above pic, I'd get laughed off the trail. :flipoff:
LOL...If my friends saw one of those on my jeep, they would block it up...take the wheels off and hide the lug nuts...till I took it off...but...to each there own:)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Never really noticed that figure is flipping the bird, sorry, I didn't intentionally flip the bird at ya for such a trivial thing. :)
OK...

Hey also for what it is worth...

There is a difference in how the air goes over the soft top with the bugflector.

It is considerably quieter. Still not like riding in a Lincoln but some quieter.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Bling Bling...........it looks like a damn unibrow.
LOLOLOLOLOLOL...whaaaaaaaaaa....LOLOLOLLOLOL

That Bug deflector looks totally mmmmmmm takes away the Wrangler look --get some of that bug begone stuff,McQuire's spray on wax--you can use that to wipe off those nasty bugs,pigeon/bird crap,dirt etc...keeps your jeep looking in showroom condition;)

Since I've been using it I haven't had a bug problem...I think the lil buzzards slide right off!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts