Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this has been answered, I just didn't see it anywhere.

I have a 3" lift on my JKU Rubicon and I'm running 35 tires. About a month ago I bent up my steering components pretty good and decided to modify to the Teraflex chromoly tie rod & drag, HD ball joints, flex control arms and HD diffs. While waiting to save enough money for the parts I wanted to off-road one more time. It was about 90 miles to the trails and with the tie rod bent I was towed in badly. I didn't want to beat up the tires anymore then necessary so I had an alignment done. The result left my caster at 2.4 and my camber at -1.0 (both low to spec). The alignment shop explanation was that my control arms were not adjustable relative to my lift. I pretty much blew off the out of spec condition knowing that I was going to modify the steering anyway.

I arrived at the trail just fine and took no major hits on the rocks. However, on the way home I had major death wobble. In looking at the major steering components I didn't see anything obvious. I am going through a couple of excellent diagnostic videos I found on this forum but I started thinking about the recent alignment.

Here is my question:

Does the stock alignment spec change (at least for camber and caster) relative to lift and tire size? If it does, are there any models out there that would help me understand where I should be post alignment?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the feedback. Just to clarify; does this mean that the stock alignment specification parameters (3.2 - 5.4 depending on which wheel) never change regardless of lift? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
14,539 Posts
Thank you for the feedback. Just to clarify; does this mean that the stock alignment specification parameters (3.2 - 5.4 depending on which wheel) never change regardless of lift? Thanks.
Yes, the desired caster stays the same, even when you lift. But as Ken stated, caster declines as you lift without any correction. At 2.5" of lift you are typically at a point where correction would be a noticeable improvement in handling. Above 2.5 it's almost a certainty...

Correction can be done with geometry correction brackets, front lower control arms, front upper control arms and the undesirable cam washers...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts