Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a 2003 Rubicon, with the following mods. 4" Rubicon Express short arm lift kit, and 33" Mickey Thompson mud terrians.
When im driving down the road my steering wheel shimmys back and forth, its just sits there and shakes, its really annoying. The tires are brand new and were balanced, everything under the Jeep appears nice and tight, the only thing that looks worn out is the steering stabilizer. I dont know what OEM equipment was on these Jeeps, but this one is white with a black boot I think. (cant remember off the top of my head) its pretty rusted, so im thinking its older. Would the steering stabilizer cause my steering wheel to shake like this at any speed? I dont have death wobble or anything, but it is pretty annoying just driving it around town.

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
220 Posts
Your tires or wheels are either out of balance, out of round or out of true. The steering stabilizer is not causing the shimmy.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
If it starts at a certain speed and stops as you go faster, usually occurs around 45-55, as indicated above, it's likely a wheel balance issue. It's common with TJs. I've had it. You have to get them PERFECTLY balanced. Look into roadforce ballancing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No certain speed, it happens at all speeds, and I checked and they were balanced, they used stick on weights in sides of the wheels. They could still be out of balance though. I just hate the thought of taking it somewhere to have them balanced and they would already be fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Most likely if your tires are in good shape you have one or more steering parts are worn have someone turn wheel back and forth cheak for slack in tie rods bad bushings .jack it up cheak ball joints and slack in wheel bearings

1 - 5 of 5 Posts