Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All, Just purchased a left over 2012 two door soft top (manual!!! 3.73 LSD) quick question about convertibles. My sisters first car was a 64 Corvair convertible, Dads advice was " never lock a convertible, just takes a pocket knife to get in". Then you are replacing an expensive top... So, how many of you all lock your soft tops? I live in a low crime area and obviously wouldn't leave anything of value in there. Just curious

Slowzuki

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I lock mine. I guess it's out of habit. Getting in by cutting the window or unzipping it would take time and draw a lot of attention IMO.

I also don't leave mine parked outside overnight.

A crime of opportunity -- in a parking lot for example -- could possibly be thwarted by merely locking your doors. The same goes for those that park in the driveway overnight. With the new wave of criminals merely checking for unlocked doors, they would likely pass on by a locked Jeep rather than slicing through stuff or unzipping windows.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
My comments from a similar thread:

MTH said:
I've never understood the "don't lock it" rationale.

When you lock any vehicle--or your house for that matter--you're not creating an impenetrable fortress of security. You're just making it a little more difficult. You're creating barriers that would be inconvenient (but not impossible) to overcome. The goal is to discourage, not to render impenetrable.

The fact that somebody could have a knife and could cut a soft top and could be willing to climb in through the rear window is not a reason not to lock the doors, any more then the fact that somebody could be willing to smash your windows is a reason not to lock your doors.

Which is easier: Cutting a window and then climbing in over a roll bar and rear seat, or just opening the door? If what you're doing makes it harder to get into the jeep, then you should do it.

And believe me, I know. Somebody broke into my soft top by unzipping the window and climbing inside (see here). My doors were locked. So basically all I achieved is I made them work for it. But who knows how many would-be burglars just tried the door handle and then walked away? And if the guys that broke into mine didn't realize that my windows could be unzipped, they would've thought they needed a knife--which they may not have had.

So while I'm sure there are situations where somebody's soft top window was slashed and it would've been better--in retrospect--had they left the jeep unlocked, the fact is that from a deterence standpoint you're better off locking the doors and making it tough for them.

It may ultimately not discourage them (like my situation) or may get your windows slashed, but it also may discourage them altogether. Leaving your doors unlocked offers no deterence whatsoever and certainly does not prevent your top from being cut. You should lock your doors.
:thumb:

·
Registered
165 Posts
If someone really wants in, there is no way to keep them out. I lock with a soft top and even with the top down (which my wife hates).
Prepare for the worst...hope for the best.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Hello All, Just purchased a left over 2012 two door soft top (manual!!! 3.73 LSD) quick question about convertibles. My sisters first car was a 64 Corvair convertible, Dads advice was " never lock a convertible, just takes a pocket knife to get in". Then you are replacing an expensive top... So, how many of you all lock your soft tops? I live in a low crime area and obviously wouldn't leave anything of value in there. Just curious

Slowzuki
Well Slow,

That is a great question and it would depend on ones lifestyle. How would I lock this up?

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Tire

My solution was the Clifford Responder and adding a proximity sensor, which will pick up all motion inside the Jeep. It also has the Mopar GPS tracking system in it.

I also have the Bestop Trektop NX, which just got here, so it hasn't been installed yet, as well as the hard top and doors.

As far as locking it up, why should I with the alarm and no doors...:rofl:

If I ever put the hard top back on I will be so use to not locking the doors I probably still wouldn't. Never leave anything of value in a Jeep, car, or truck ect... I'm never too far from my Jeep anyway!

50 Something

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
If someone really wants in, there is no way to keep them out. I lock with a soft top and even with the top down (which my wife hates).
Prepare for the worst...hope for the best.
Well Slow,

That is a great question and it would depend on ones lifestyle. How would I lock this up?

View attachment 169544

My solution was the Clifford Responder and adding a proximity sensor, which will pick up all motion inside the Jeep. It also has the Mopar GPS tracking system in it.

I also have the Bestop Trektop NX, which just got here, so it hasn't been installed yet, as well as the hard top and doors.

As far as locking it up, why should I with the alarm and no doors...:rofl:

If I ever put the hard top back on I will be so use to not locking the doors I probably still wouldn't. Never leave anything of value in a Jeep, car, or truck ect... I'm never too far from my Jeep anyway!

50 Something
Last 3 posts pretty much sum it up for me. I'm all about making it hard for some loser who wants to steal from my rig. I lock the doors, and bought an alarm, like 50.

I run rock doors and no top for about 6 months straight, and the alarm really works well. Obviously, locking the doors isn't in play with the rock doors. You'll hear that the alarms go off at the drop of a hat, but that's not been my experience. Takes a little digging, but you can adjust the proximity sensors for sensitivity. I've marked settings on mine with a sharpie, and adjust accordingly for top/doors on or off. No issues.

·
Registered
196 Posts
For insurance reasons i would lock it. More likely to get something replaced because you tried to keep them out. The first thing the cops and usually insurance company asks is did you lock the door? I know I did as a military police officer. I hear where you guys are coming from though. Soft tops are expensive to replace if someone knifes them.

·
Registered
103 Posts
a buddy of mine never locks his but he get an aftermarket alarm installed so if someone open a door or touches it or if the wind blows hard enough, or the wind moves some stupid thing hanging from his rear view mirror the lights horn and some other noises happen, and it pages his key chain works well.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I lock mine, but a few years ago someone cut the back window while it was sitting in a parking lot near work. There was nothing in the Jeep...they apparently just wanted to be cut something. :banghead:

I never keep anything in my Jeep except a few CDs (usually just the one in the little playing machine). Since I have keyless entry, though, I lock it. I never locked my TJ and no one ever cut the window/top on it.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I currently put the half doors on, but have the windows out of my 12 JKU.

I keep the center console and glove box locked with or without doors.

But even with my bikini top on, with the half doors on I reach inside to lock them
when I leave the jeep.

As was said above, it's just one additional step that someone is going to have to take before they can root around inside.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts