Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just purchased a 2013 Jeep Sahara, 4D, manual, with 3.27 gears, Dana 30 Front and Dana 44 rear, tow package,etc. I'm going to use the jeep as a weekend warrior with some commute miles (40 miles total, highway). I am thinking about putting 18 "XD misfit (4.5 BS, -12 offset) 35", 325/65/18 Duratrac's with 4.56 gears. I like the flush and wide stance look, so i was wondering what's the best option for me to keep it that way with aftermarket wheels/tires? I did a lot of research and i know one member here who's runing 325/60/18 hankook MT with 18' XD wheels without lift. Do you think i would need a kit? Leveling kit? what are my options to keep the flush look without lifting the jeep? I would like to stick with the wheel/tire option that i mentioned above. thanks for your help.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Yeah, you can run 35"s without a lift, but you better not take it off road, otherwise if you flex it at all you are going to have tire rub issues right off the bat.

Running 35s you will need a lift and gears. You would be good to go with 33s just as it sits.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
lol, flush? It's not an Infiniti G35.

You're going to have to pick between flush and flex. Flush will give you the look you want on the street, but hurt on the trails. What exactly do you have in mind for the weekends?

Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Jeep is going to be used for commute,mall crawler, drive to lake tahoe during winter and beaches/yosemite during summer, etc. So, what would i need to switch from 3.27 to 4.56, parts, etc.? If it rubs too much i'll add leveling kit.

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
Thanks guys. Jeep is going to be used for commute,mall crawler, drive to lake tahoe during winter and beaches/yosemite during summer, etc. So, what would i need to switch from 3.27 to 4.56, parts, etc.? If it rubs too much i'll add leveling kit.
Why not just drive it stock? That's an awful lot of money to dump into your Jeep for looks.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
It will rub... Might as well budget in a lift or fenders and leveling kit now. As for rehearse you'll need 2 master rebuild kits, 2 ring and pinion sets and I believe new carriers as well if coming from 3.21. Any reputable gear shop will be able to tell you what parts you need as part of their quotes. I think generally regears are around the 7-10 hours worth of labor

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Unless you're looking to spend a bunch of money, you might want to look at no lift with 17" XD wheels and 33" Duratracs. I think it will give you a look you're wanting and save you a couple thousand in lift/regear.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why not just drive it stock? That's an awful lot of money to dump into your Jeep for looks.
To accommodate the needs of growing family and my own personal taste. They want 4 door, grocery getter, something slow, etc. and i want something with manual, looks, etc. There's something about a Jeep with bigger tires that you don't find anywhere. Maybe it's just the beginning, i might start wheeling in future.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It will rub... Might as well budget in a lift or fenders and leveling kit now. As for rehearse you'll need 2 master rebuild kits, 2 ring and pinion sets and I believe new carriers as well if coming from 3.21. Any reputable gear shop will be able to tell you what parts you need as part of their quotes. I think generally regears are around the 7-10 hours worth of labor
Thanks a lot. I am going to contact few local shop to quote me for the whole swap. So, basically;
wheels/tires = 2k
Gear swap = 1K?
Tera flex 1.5" = 500$
Labor= $$
...another money pit..lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Unless you're looking to spend a bunch of money, you might want to look at no lift with 17" XD wheels and 33" Duratracs. I think it will give you a look you're wanting and save you a couple thousand in lift/regear.
Thanks. I'm thinking about going this route. You think 3.2 gears would handle this setup without any issue?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Thanks. I'm thinking about going this route. You think 3.2 gears would handle this setup without any issue?
Yeah, my dealer sells them with 35s. The largest I would go would be 33s on 3.2. It will be slightly slower, but it's no sports car now.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Thanks a lot. I am going to contact few local shop to quote me for the whole swap. So, basically;
wheels/tires = 2k
Gear swap = 1K?
Tera flex 1.5" = 500$
Labor= $$
...another money pit..lol
Ummm, that's more like $1000 per axle on the gear swap.

3.21s are fine with 33s...a bit pigish, but livable. With 35s, it would be a slug.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
4.56 gears might be a bit too short on 35s. Just my opinion though.
I run 5.13's with 35's.... It's all a matter of opinion and driving conditions. Either way 3.21 with 35's would not be fun, there would be a significant loss of power. 3.21 with 33's on the other hand could potentially be very liveable again depending on geographic location and driving conditions

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
To accommodate the needs of growing family and my own personal taste. They want 4 door, grocery getter, something slow, etc. and i want something with manual, looks, etc. There's something about a Jeep with bigger tires that you don't find anywhere. Maybe it's just the beginning, i might start wheeling in future.
I totally get it. I'm just saying to do a whole lot of research prior to pulling the trigger. You can end up with issues once you start lifting and adding weight to the Jeep.

Add another $1k to your estimate for the regear and about $1k in labor.

If it were my Jeep and I was just doing it for looks, I'd run 33" Duratracs like has been said here before. Just my .02

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I run 5.13's with 35's.... It's all a matter of opinion and driving conditions. Either way 3.21 with 35's would not be fun, there would be a significant loss of power. 3.21 with 33's on the other hand could potentially be very liveable again depending on geographic location and driving conditions
Wow, is that your daily driver? Does it impact your gas mileage? How about rpms? Do you tow something? I agree 3.21 even 3.73 would be too tall. I think 4.10s would be a good choice for better gas mileage on the commute, unless he's planning to tow something? Again, just my two cents......

Edit.....So I just looked at a gear ratio chart and 4.56 on 35s would put you just over 2800 rpm at 65 mph. That's not bad. But I still think I would go higher if this were mostly for DD duty.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Wow, is that your daily driver? Does it impact your gas mileage? How about rpms? Do you tow something? I agree 3.21 even 3.73 would be too tall. I think 4.10s would be a good choice for better gas mileage on the commute, unless he's planning to tow something? Again, just my two cents......

Edit.....So I just looked at a gear ratio chart and 4.56 on 35s would put you just over 2800 rpm at 65 mph. That's not bad. But I still think I would go higher if this were mostly for DD duty.
Yea it is my daily driver, gas mileage has only dropped 1 mpg from running 33" duratracs with 3.73 gears (6sp), but I do mostly in town, offroad and back road driving as I live in a small rural town. It runs about 2800 at 65mph which actually isn't bad, my 35's also measure on the big side at 34.5" tall on my jeep. It drives 100x better than my old setup as I live in the foothills of the Canadian Rockies, especially noticeable when towing my small camping trailer. I can pull hills in 6th gear that with my old setup would be down to 4th almost 3rd gear.
It all depends what you're doing with your Jeep. There's never a unanimous decision when it comes to gears and tires

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Yea it is my daily driver, gas mileage has only dropped 1 mpg from running 33" duratracs with 3.73 gears (6sp), but I do mostly in town, offroad and back road driving as I live in a small rural town. It runs about 2800 at 65mph which actually isn't bad, my 35's also measure on the big side at 34.5" tall on my jeep. It drives 100x better than my old setup as I live in the foothills of the Canadian Rockies, especially noticeable when towing my small camping trailer. I can pull hills in 6th gear that with my old setup would be down to 4th almost 3rd gear.
It all depends what you're doing with your Jeep. There's never a unanimous decision when it comes to gears and tires
Sounds like a nice set up. Congrats!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This is the look i was going for (link below), but it seems like the cost will be a lot for gear swap. Thanks a lot for your help. You guys are awesome. I am looking into 33" Duratracs. What are my options for wheels with those tires. thanks

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
I run 15" MBTKOs with 33" DuraTracs on my jeep. I think they have 4.5 backspacing. I ran them for a little under a month with no lift and they only rubbed at full, hard turn like backing into a tight parking spot. Then I added my lift and this is what he looks like today.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts