Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought my first Jeep last night and proud of it. Took it out today for a good shakedown and came up with a short list. Any suggestions to this list are appreciated. BTW I got a 2000 TJ, 4" Skyjacker lift (probably cheap one) with tcase drop, 2" body lift, 35x12.50 pro comp mud terrains, not sure about the axle ratios. It is an automatic as well. (Don't laugh, my wife can't drive a 5 speed and its the only way I could swing a Jeep.)

My list:
1. Not a big fan of the tcase drop, looks like it puts everything at a weird angle. Thinking of going to an SYE and Tim Woods drive shaft.

2. Took it in the mud today, not sure if the front tires are spinning at the same speed as the rear. I throw more mud with the rear than the front.

3. Tcase shifter must be in a bind due to body lift or tcase drop or both. Thinking of going to a Novak shifter. Don't know if I should go cable or linkage.

That's just my initial list and I know that I'm in for a lot of tweeking and tuning to come. Thanks for any input

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
Sye and a Tom Woods drive shaft is the only way to get rid of the TC drop... you'll also need adjustable upper control arms.

I'd recommend pulling the dif covers and checking the numbers stamped on the ring gear. Always good to service the diffs anyway not knowing when they were last serviced

Novak cable shifter is the way to go...

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
jlapoint01 said:
Bought my first Jeep last night and proud of it. Took it out today for a good shakedown and came up with a short list. Any suggestions to this list are appreciated. BTW I got a 2000 TJ, 4" Skyjacker lift (probably cheap one) with tcase drop, 2" body lift, 35x12.50 pro comp mud terrains, not sure about the axle ratios. It is an automatic as well. (Don't laugh, my wife can't drive a 5 speed and its the only way I could swing a Jeep.)

My list:
1. Not a big fan of the tcase drop, looks like it puts everything at a weird angle. Thinking of going to an SYE and Tim Woods drive shaft.

2. Took it in the mud today, not sure if the front tires are spinning at the same speed as the rear. I throw more mud with the rear than the front.

3. Tcase shifter must be in a bind due to body lift or tcase drop or both. Thinking of going to a Novak shifter. Don't know if I should go cable or linkage.

That's just my initial list and I know that I'm in for a lot of tweeking and tuning to come. Thanks for any input
Funny thing, a jeep forum is the last place you'll get laughed at for the auto. A lot of people love it because you don't have to worry about stalling and abusing the clutch while rock crawling. That said, I have a 6 speed and love it. Besides where would I rock crawl in Louisiana, it's all swamps and woodland down here!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. I was thinking of pulling the diff covers and giving the gears a look too. Any thoughts on the best type of fluid to go back with, be it usual gear oil or synthetic?

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
Regular oil in mine, But that's your preference if you are putting synthetic in everything else you might as well do synthetic in the diffs too

1 - 5 of 5 Posts