Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would a 3 inch lift on 32's be too much stress for a 2.5 engine?

and my dad has his mind fixed on getting safety equipment for the jeep before lifting it, is this a wise thing or should i just say screw safety i want the lift and tires?

thanks,
dylan

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
what gears/tranny do you have? if you have a 5spd with 4.10's in it, you should be ok with 32's, you will probly notice a little difference in power, but shouldn't be too awful. what kinda safety equip? like a shoulder bar and 5-point harnesses? 3'' and 32's isn't going to make it all that much more unstable or prone to roll-over than stock so you'll be fine just to lift it and put new tires on.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, i have a 5spd and 4.10s. my dad is talking about rock sliders, winch, 5 point harness, and other miscellaneous items. what are some things that i could do to improve power?

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
bluetj99 said:
what are some things that i could do to improve power?
hahahahahahahah

whew...sorry. the little 4 banger is just kinda sad when it comes to power. you can do things such as 4.0L throttle body, headers, exhaust, k&n filter, but the most efficient way to gain power is to regear. with 32's if you went to 4.56/4.88 gears, you'll be back to stock if not a little better. rocker guards and a winch i vote yes on, but the 5 points i don't think are necessary until you're doing some hardcore off camber stuff when you NEED to stay in your seat or there is a chance for a rollover.

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
Brotha, it really depends on what you want to do. There are a lot of jeeps that are armored up and ready to take some punishment before they are lifted and then there are jeeps that are lifted and hoping they don't get beat up because they couldn't afford diff guards.

I would say you need a good mix of both concepts. A 3 inch lift and 32's won't run you an arm and a leg and you should still be able to get some armor on it. Look around locally to you for maybe some used tires or a used lift. Or maybe a used winch to try and make both of you happy

I went from no lift 31's which I wheeled on for a year to 6" Long Arm and 35's which I wheeled open diffs on for almost a year and now it is locked up big time. I would offer anyone to learn to drive their rig little and open before they go big and locked.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
are used winches reliable? how much do you think it would cost for that gear setup? i am on a very limited budget, and cant really afford anything without waiting a long time for it (or someone like a grandma to die and me get some inheritance). i want to go open on 32's for a little while, cuz ive wheeled my stock jeep with a buddy of mine who just sold his jeep which had lockers, 33's, 4 inch lift, warn winch, rock bumpers, and was a four banger. hes the one that inspired me. even though he sold his jeep for a colorado, im still in the game with my jeep.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Get the rockers and wheel it stock until you figure out where you can't go with it. That'll help you figure out what you need to get there. I wheeled an '84 Laredo CJ-7 stock for several years, never found anyplace I wanted to be that it couldn't go. You might be wheeling in some massive $hit and need the lift and 32s right away, I can't say. But 4.10s on a stock-ish wrangler is still a jeep. I wheel with a guy in that set up on 30X9.5s and he keeps up fine, just can't pull some of the tougher lines - that are body damage waiting to happen anyway most often.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I know this is an old thread but couldn't resist chiming in anyway. I have 32's and they fit fine on just the 2 in re bb. that has let me get most places I want to go. I spent the money I saved on the skids and rockers and now I don't have to worried about what the wife will do if I get a little over my head. once I have a winch and front bumper then I will lift and lock it. I agree with 1BLKJP if you can learn how to wheel in a little jeep think of how far you will get once it is sitting on 35's and lockers front and rear. anyone can wheel and look good if the jeep is built right but that person would be up $#it creek if there lockers wouldn't engage. with open diffs you have to constantly be thinking about your line. have fun and make sure to get that jeep dirty. no since in having one if you won't.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts