Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well almost an owner of a 1999 Sahara. I say almost because I had a few questions for the pros before pulling the trigger yesterday. The Jeep looked well maintained and very clean(no rust anywhere,no dents or scratches,interior seats no rips,etc.). While checking the undercarriage I noticed a wet(oil) spot on the drivers side of the motor right behind the crankshaft pulley and another one one the rear of the front differential by the pinion seal(where the driveshaft exits),whats the best way besides driving to be sure the diff is solid? What about the engine oil leak? Is this a common spot for spillage to end up when pouring oil into the valve cover? Another issue was the 4 WD shift lever, the vehicle has a 1 1/2 or 2" lift kit (owner wasent sure) with 32" tires and said the linkage needed to be adjusted, that he couldnt get it into 4L? How do I check that the transfer case and 4L are working correctly? and how do fix the linkage issue? The owner was upfront and let me know these issues before I even came to see the vehicle(I think hes being honest),so my impression was that he wasent trying to hide anything.
Aside from that are there anyother gremlins or issues I should be aware of or look out for?
thanks,Jerry

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
See if he'll let you take it to a mechanic to have it checked out.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was one of the first things I asked and he said no problem. Problem is I dont know any mechanics(aside from a friend) close to where Im buying the truck. I figured since he had no qualms about letting me bring it to a mechanic he wasent hiding anything. I may bite the bullet and bring it to a shop and have the front diff fluid changed and mabey the rear seal replaced also.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts