Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my first jeep. 2003. Rubicon. I want bigger tires. I am used to running 15 inch wheels. Do they fit or will I have rubbing issues? Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
62,805 Posts
I just bought my first jeep. 2003. Rubicon. I want bigger tires. I am used to running 15 inch wheels. Do they fit or will I have rubbing issues? Thanks in advance!

You can run a 15 in wheel:thumb:
You can also send me your old rubi wheels:D

·
Administrator
30,781 Posts
Welcome to the Forum

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the 03 come with 15" wheels?

·
Administrator
30,781 Posts
My bad. I just looked it up and was coming back to edit that post.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Check out my Jeep profile. I have 15x8" wheels with 3.75 " backspace, and 33x12.5x15 goodyear duratracs on a 2" bb. No rubbing issues and rides fantastic. :thumb:

·
Registered
615 Posts
Im running 15x10 with 33x12.5 with a 4.5 RE Lift. Going to 16x8 and 315x75 in the next few weeks. Congrats on your Rubi they are a nice starting point.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys....now I just need to find some wheels n tires....and decide on a lift...

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
Nate - How long have you had the Rubi? the best advice I can give you is to go out and learn it's capabilities while it's still stock. Try it off road in easy to deal with situations. Learn where it has issues. Then do your upgrades one at a time. With each upgrade, push yourself a bit more. You'll thank yourself in the end, having a lot of time behind the wheel learning how each part effects the whole upgrade.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Input From Another Rookie

I bought my '03 Rubi about six months ago with zero prior Jeep experience. It had 36K miles on it and had the original tires. I bought 2010 Rubi 17" takeoff rims and tires (32"). The tires were very rough riding and very noisy. I was ready to sell the Rubi as it absolutely was not fun to drive on the street. So I traded tires for some 2010 Wrangler SRA take-offs (32"). This made the ride much better and the noise was not even noticable. So I have kept the Rubi. However, I think I now need a tire like the Goodrich AT which, supposedly, have low noise and are much more durable than the SRAs. I will probably go to 33s.

It is easy to get caught-up in the "upgrade" mode. I did not want to go overboard so started with a low-cost 2" spacer lift. After one off-road ride on rough desert "roads" it became obvious I needed sway bar disconnects and I needed to air-down. That made the off-road ride much better. I also installed an interior air filter (home made) which cuts down 95% of the dust entering the car.

So that is where I am now. I may go to a 4" lift but I need to find out what this will cost as a total package. It is funny how one simple upgrade results in several additional unanticipated aftermarket parts

Find an off-road shop you trust and keep reading Jeep Forum as it is a great reference source. Best of luck.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the advice... I'm no offroad rookie, I have been wheeling toyotas for a few years...just wanted to kno about wheel fitment. Also, I do not use any shop to do work on my vehicles outside of installing tires on wheels and alignments. The jeep is new to me and I'm sure it will handle a lil different than my yotas but I just hope it is half as capable of my ifs toys cuz they have wheeled amazinly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts