Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I am replacing the stock 130 POS to the Alpine i2017-WRA with the rear camera. I'm not really an audio person but pretty handy so I'd appreciate any lessons learned from you all who have gone through this already, things like should I add the micro bypass for the parking brake, will al the steering controls work out of the box? Thanks in advance for sharing

Mick

·
Registered
690 Posts
First, I assume you mean the i207-wra. I have the i209-wra which has a bit more involved install due to needing to cut the dash for the larger screen.

My steering wheel controls worked right out of the box because the kit included the Maestro module which interfaces the controls with the head unit. Be sure to program the Maestro unit before install and you have to use a Windows based computer to do it, can’t do it with a MAC.

The i209 comes with a GPS antenna. I didn’t think I would need it since I already had the combo Sirius/GPS antenna from the factory and the unit doesn’t have Nav. The Alpine’s clock uses the GPS antenna for time, so install it even if you don’t think you need it. Everything else was pretty straight forward, just follow the instructions

I am not familiar with the parking brake switch you asked about, but assume it bypasses the settings lock on the radio that requires the parking brake to be engaged in order to change most of the settings. If so, that’s a personal preference. I don’t have an issue pulling the brake to change settings and wouldn’t be changing them as I was driving anyway, so no need for me to bypass the safety feature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey Mick, where in MA are you located? send me a pm I just did an audio upgrade, front pods, sound bar, all new wiring, subwoofer, amp etc I'd love to meet another local Jeeper and help out

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd love the help but I'm temporarily in Cali on a job assignment and have the jeep out here. Did u upgrade to the Alpine?

·
Premium Member
167 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
I've added 2 HU's to my JKU since new I used the thread over at the JK Tech forums that was started by Mike, might want to go check that out. Best Buy has all the parts you need like for the steering wheel controls and for the housing bracket. Amazon has them also. It's not that difficult I used youtube videos in how to wire Stereos it's basically the same thing. I had no amp so if you have one there are couple of more steps.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just did the 207-WRA upgrade. It is pretty straight forward, watch the Alpine Install video over and over again until you get soooo sick of the music, you can't unmute it. :) Just go slow and do all your prep work before going out there. You have to program you maestro, which was the hardest part. While you are at it, upgrade you speakers to with the kicker upgrade, you will appreciate the sound improvement. I did my front speakers since I had the dash apart, that was a lot harder than doing the radio install. :)

·
Registered
690 Posts
I used the Mac version to flash my maestro a few months ago. Works perfectly fine.

When I got mine a year ago, the instructions specifically stated that it could only be done from a Windows based computer. I wasn’t aware that they added the capability of programming from iOS.

Thanks for correcting my outdated information.

·
Registered
128 Posts
When I got mine a year ago, the instructions specifically stated that it could only be done from a Windows based computer. I wasn’t aware that they added the capability of programming from iOS.

Thanks for correcting my outdated information.

Its not an iOS app. It is a macOS application. Used my MacBook to flash. But it does work flawlessly

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
I read somewhere that the new RR2 will be programmable with your phone via bluetooth. That would be nice for future modifications and updates.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, everyone for the input. I followed Torrin's advice and watched the video over and over until I was sick of the music. Overall, the HU installation went well.

The only issue I encountered was how to connect the Sirius antenna. The adapter did not match the connector on the HU. Really doesn't matter since I let the subscription lapse but I would have liked to connect it anyways. did I miss something?

I have to go back in because the backup camera did not ship to me complete so any insight is appreciated.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts