Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for the add, Just purchased a 15 Willys for my son and did a search for a couple of things and could not find what I was looking for. My question is I have yet to use anything on the fenders when we washed it I want them to look dark and somewhat shiny but am worried about what to use, since it is the first time don't want to screw them up would like to start with correct stuff. What are you guys using on them? Noticed its hard to clean them also what to clean them with first, washed it and when it dried the fenders didn't look clean?? Thanks in advance, sure I'll have many more questions..

·
Registered
63 Posts
Just beat me to it! This is what I used and was quite impressed. I'd heard about it for years but never tried it until I bought a Jeep.

·
Administrator
42,610 Posts
I use 303 Aerospace and it's great but I don't like the over spray in tight areas. When I had factory fenders, I mostly used Mother's Back-to-black. Besides being cheaper, it comes in a squirt bottle and you apply it with a cloth.

Welcome to the forum BTW :wavey:

·
Registered
805 Posts
I use 303 as well, but share the overspray frustration with beastmaster. For this reason I use the 303 on the fenders (and other plastics) when I plan to use a quick detailer right after. That way I get to wipe clean any overspray.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
303 is great ive been using it for years .but beileve it or not that stuff called wipe new actually works just follow the instructions.you have to clean the flares real good then apply .i tried it last summer and was quite pleased with the results.it claims two year (yeah sure) I applied it in june and it still looked black in October. but if you do it twice a year and for $12 at home depot you cant beat it

·
Registered
623 Posts
I use an all purpose cleaner like simple green to clean them. Then I follow that up with mothers back to black. Once that dries I wipe it with a dry cloth then apply aerospace 303 like the others. It gets them jet black and uv protects them.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
To avoid dealing with the overspray on your paint, maybe you guys should try applying it like I do.

I spray the 303 on my microfiber towel or applicator, THEN wipe it on the fenders. I do the same on the interior, so I don't have to worry about overspray on the windows, radio, instrument cluster, etc...

·
Registered
805 Posts
To avoid dealing with the overspray on your paint, maybe you guys should try applying it like I do. I spray the 303 on my microfiber towel or applicator, THEN wipe it on the fenders. I do the same on the interior, so I don't have to worry about overspray on the windows, radio, instrument cluster, etc...
Definitely do that on the inside already. Don't know why I don't on the outside.... Hum.

·
Registered
394 Posts
To avoid dealing with the overspray on your paint, maybe you guys should try applying it like I do.

I spray the 303 on my microfiber towel or applicator, THEN wipe it on the fenders. I do the same on the interior, so I don't have to worry about overspray on the windows, radio, instrument cluster, etc...
Exactly what I do! Works great!

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
What I do, is try and get a liberal coat of mud on them. Also, I drive it through the bush, giving the whole vehicle some character scratches to bring the whole offroad vehicle look to life.
You can see I missed a few spots while applying the mud, but I had fun.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
I use armoral...sorry for spelling
Most people here stay away from Armor All. Once you use it on your plastics, you have to be a slave to it and constantly reapply it or it looks worse than if you hadn't applied anything at all. There is some chemical in Armor All that dries out the plastic. I can't remember the name of it though, sorry.

There are SEVERAL threads with posts written by guys who run a detail service or who have done extensive research into the products and they all say Armor All is a bad idea. :(

·
Administrator
42,610 Posts
Like Starbright said, I'd stay away from armorall. I used to be a big fan of the stuff until I got my dash board fried by UV rays a number of years ago. What armorall does is strip all the natural UV protection from what ever it is applied to, and replaces it with its own protectant. If you stop using it for a while (like I did then) the vinyl was totally unprotected and the sun really got to it.
If you delay using 303 or Mother's all that happens is that it fades a bit, but you are no worse off.

·
Registered
154 Posts
+1 for Aerospace 303. Used it based off of a forum recommendation and it works amazing. I also use the microfiber towel method, two towels to be exact. One to apply and another to immediately dry it and buff it out. There's also some products made by Wolfgang and Pinnacle that are top notch, but expensive. Check out Autogeek to see what a lot of the pros use. As long as the product doesn't have any gloss agents you should be good.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts