Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I was given a 94 YJ from one of my in laws. I've been wanting a YJ for about 5 years now, but didn't think I would ever get around to buying one. So now that I have one, I need a little input.

About my YJ:

- The leaf springs are almost bent the wrong way, the front is flat.
- The engine has 200,000 miles on it
- No roof....well a ripped up soft top with no side windows or upper half doors.
- The engine looks to be leaking from every spot possible...and then some
- Seems to run well enough, considering how many miles are on it
- one of the wheels is missing and a much smaller wheel from a car or something is on it.
- Front, drivers side, fender is damaged and the front bumper is bent forward.
- Looks like the wheels have been rubbing the fender flares.

What I want to do:
- I'm looking to make this a weekend toy, nothing too aggressive
- I'm thinking a slight lift with some 31's maybe 32's
- Clean out the cab and spray in a liner
- Overhaul the engine and transmission.

What I'm looking for is a suggested checklist of things to do, perhaps a logical order of things to do. I'm thinking the suspension needs to be fixed first and if I'm going to be doing it, I may as well lift it a little. From there, wheels and tires.

Bottom line, if you just got a YJ in need of a lot of TLC, what order of business would you follow?

Thanks for all your help, and I'll post pictures soon.

Simon

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One other question, my neighbor has 5 wheels and tires that he just took off his new 2010 Wrangler and wants to know if I will take them. Will these fit, or is there something I would have to do to make this happen. It would give me a set for cheap until I do something more interesting with the YJ

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Is it a 4 or 6 cyl.? If you have a place to overhaul,yank motor and trans rebuild or look for a fresher one .Craigs List is the best place for jeep parts .I agree with getting the suspension first.
post some pics
scince it was free you should have mean machine for less than 3000 bucks .grt ready to get dirty.and have fun

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry bout that, it is a 6...I was very happy to get the 6 instead of the 4...I've never worked on jeeps before, but used to fix up old 280ZX's which had a straight 6 also....shouldn't be too much difference I would think.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
One other question, my neighbor has 5 wheels and tires that he just took off his new 2010 Wrangler and wants to know if I will take them. Will these fit, or is there something I would have to do to make this happen. It would give me a set for cheap until I do something more interesting with the YJ
Wheels won't fit off a 2010. I would say go with your engine and tranny rebuilt before you start adding in mods. No sense in going crazy on some wheels and suspension if the thing is gonna break down on ya.

·
Registered
513 Posts
i agree with MikeMYJ i would go for the engine and trans rebuild first and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hell ya,time to rejoice,anouther jeeper is born,engine and tranny first,then suspension,tires, than a cutie to ride shotgun.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts