Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All! I am a newbie but have always been a fan of the Jeeps and the Jeep culture. i recently bought a 2014 jeep sport wrangler unlimited. by accident we were heading to our future retirement home (house) in Ellijay Ga. a week after and come to find out that jeepfest was happening in Jasper 2 days before we were having to come back to fl. needless to say the fest was awesome. i need help in taking the steps to make my jeep street and trail ready for when we move up there full time. i will be using my jeep daily for back and forth to work in the meantime. 26 highway miles each way. a friend has a 2 1/2 lift kit for me for free and was wondering what are the first things i should add to my new jeep after adding it or should i do things before adding? any help would be appreciated.....i'm a Chef not a mechanic so simple would be great! Looking forward to being a part of the Jeep family!
sorry....will be traveling back and forth from orlando to ellijay periodically for the next year or so....
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I was also at Jeepfest in Jasper and had a great time. My advice is to drive your jeep stock for awhile and understand its capabilities before spending a lot of money right off the bat. The mods you might want to do will greatly depend on the type of off-roading you prefer. You might start with some basic armor to prevent damage to your jeep such as rock rails, bumpers, or some additional skid plates but there are almost limitless possibilities on the type of mods you may want to do. Even if you get a lift kit for free, I'd still be a little concerned with what it consists of. I'd want to be sure it's a quality lift kit so you don't introduce problems, especially for a jeep that will be driven long distances.

Even though I'm in Florida, I frequently travel to Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee to seek out the rocks and more difficult trails that don't exist here. That dictates certain requirements that may not be necessary if you off-road on sandy trails, go mudding, or drive the beaches in Florida. Also, joining a local jeep club is a great way to not only find out what other jeepers are doing to their jeeps but also to hook up with locals for outings and events.

Welcome and hope you enjoy your jeep and the jeeping lifestyle.

·
Trying to Get Lost
1,080 Posts
Welcome! I'm currently in Orlando myself. I think Brighton's got it right. And Florida is a great place to get started with a stock Jeep, because in most cases you don't need any real modifications.

I don't have any "real" modifications at all yet. Just things like rocker guards and a CB radio. :D I'm even still rocking the original street tires that came with my Sport. I occasionally go out with a few friends to Ocala National Forest or Tosohatchee to ride around the trails there and haven't yet run into any situations where I've been unable to cope.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts