Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 87 I6 with the Ba10.......its about to be time to rebuild the motor , and get rid of the BA10 and np 207 combo. this thing is a DD when im not on my bike, wanting to swap to a automatic as well mostly for the Mrs. Mostly used for a hour plus ride to work, and working/ hunting my 10 acres that backs up to a deer lease, no Major offroad with 4 foot deep mud pits kinda thing.

option 1 is to go with the diesel anyway.....and i do love diesels
option 2 is rebuild and go with a chevy 700r4 tranny....( have been reading up on this swap a lil bit )
I really can not justify putting in a 350.......alot more power than what i need.......not building a major trail rig or rock crawler

what would ya'll suggest for fuel mileage/longevity/cost issues ?

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
My vote is either find XJ with a 4.0l AW4 trans and swap that. If you can pick a whole rig that would great. Or 3.9L 4bt cummings with. T400 trans.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Find a low mileage wrecked Chevy 4.3 v6, auto 4x4, buy the whole thing and swap everything out. Or buy a TJ that has 4.0 auto.

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
"Banks316" is correct and gave you great advice. If you can find a rig that has your complete drivetrain in it, from engine to transfer case... then you are way ahead of the game, financially speaking. The only thing you would have to do is engine mounts, modify the transmission crossmember, modify your driveshafts and "mate up" your electrical harness. If you want to "piecemeal it", you are going to have more problems and delays.

I tried to keep everything "Jeep" in my conversion (except the engine) but it would have been simpler if I found a 4x4 Chevy truck that had the drivetrain I wanted. It would have been all together and matched. (For the most part, a transmission is a tranmission, a transfer case is a transfer case... as long as it matches the axles).

Good luck and take care,

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Sorry, I thought the ? was Next Best Motor for DD, and He wanted to use a 700r4 Chevy tranny!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
looking at all the best options, figured it wouldnt hurt to get opinions from people who know more about jeeps than i do

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
:thumb:I would have to aggree with the above 2 posts on finding an automatic donor XJ and get the whole drivetrain.
When I ditch the 2.5 in mine, that is what i plan to do. The XJ's have an AW4 auto tranny which I have in a couple of my XJ's and one has over 300,000 on it and still shifts good. the other has over 200,000 and run lilke new. On of the toughest auto trannys around IMO.
Doing this as one piece will save you a lot of time and headache.
Good luck.
The Diesel thing sounds awesome but a lot more involved. I had thought at one time about getting a VW 1.9 for my Willys

1 - 7 of 7 Posts