Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the summer I put a 2" BB on my TJ. I'm sick of seeing those spacers on the front so I'd like to replace them and the coil springs with 2 or 2.5" coils. Can I do this without changing anything else on the suspension? When I ordered the BB, I also ordered a TC drop kit in case it would be needed to get rid of the vibes but I found it wasn't needed. It's still under my back seat in case I'd need it for a 2.5" lift. It should be an easy swap, correct? Pull off old springs and silly red chunks of rubber and put a new springs on? Do I need to remove the bumpstop extensions? What springs would be good for on and off road?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
OME(Old Man Emu) Is a good brand. I would definitely suggest new shocks if your BB didn't come with them. You would be better off just getting a small lift kit, you know the 500 buck ones. They usually come with enough parts to run them safely. That is: springs, shocks, most likely new lower control arms, bump stops, possibly longer sway bar links, and maybe some other things

·
Registered
413 Posts
I was looking at the 2" lift from Rustys Offroad. Its a 2" coil lift for about $310. Or was thinking of the BDS system for $400 +/-. Not sure yet. I would love OME but they are soooo freaking expensive.

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
I understand you don't like the look of the spacers, but it seems like a great deal of time and energy to almost end up with the same lift you have now.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The BB kit came with Skyjacker Hydros and bump stop extentions. If I can get away with it, I'd like to do it in stages so the wife doesn't get mad at me about putting a lot of money into a 10 year old Jeep that "drives just fine the way it is". What I'd like to finish with is a 2 or 2.5" suspension lift with maybe 1" BL and 1" MML running on 32's. Are the new links and control arms needed? I've only got about 6 months on the shocks and most kits other than RC seem to come with shocks. I don't get to do a lot of off-roading and what I do do is very mild.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
You can stick 33's easy under 2.5" suspension + 1" BL. You can get away with not upgrading your lower control arms but will stress your 10 year old parts. You can just pick up coils but the difference between 2" spacers and 2" coils is close to nothing, even 2.5" coils. Upgrading your lowers will also replace those tired bushings in your old ones and will lessen vibes and tighten your steering, handling, ect. Pick up a new adjustable front track bar too.

·
Registered
376 Posts
The BB kit came with Skyjacker Hydros and bump stop extentions. If I can get away with it, I'd like to do it in stages so the wife doesn't get mad at me about putting a lot of money into a 10 year old Jeep that "drives just fine the way it is". What I'd like to finish with is a 2 or 2.5" suspension lift with maybe 1" BL and 1" MML running on 32's. Are the new links and control arms needed? I've only got about 6 months on the shocks and most kits other than RC seem to come with shocks. I don't get to do a lot of off-roading and what I do do is very mild.

I had the exact same set up as you, and I felt the exact same way about hating the look of the spacers, but not wanting to spend all the money at once to upgrade... so, I bought a set of OME springs from Quadratec and put them in. Just springs, nothing else because I plan on doing more this summer. So far I am very happy with the set up. My hydro shocks have seen better days, so they will be replaced soon with OME shocks. I don't have a TC drop, and I haven't had any problems with alignment, vibrations, or parts breaking. One thing to mention though is (contrary to said above) the 2.5" springs ARE higher than a 2" BB. I picked up almost 2 inches of wheel gap after the lift was done. This is partly because the stock springs were 12 years old and sagging, and the new springs had not broken in yet. I also installed a 1" body lift and I am running 33's. I kept the bump stop extensions from the Skyjacker kit and I don't have any rub issues off-road. Also, I put a set of terra flex sway bar links on since the sway bar was pulled down too far once the new springs were installed. Handling was much better after the end links were installed... so, you can just install springs and new end links and be fine to run that way until you upgrade further.

here is a picture of my OME springs and 1" BL... The entire spring swap was done in an afternoon using hand tools and jack stands.

·
Registered
376 Posts
here is another picture on the street after a day at Rausch Creek...

My next upgrade will be shocks, but aside from that I am leaving it alone for a while.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, dan188. That's what I'm looking for. I'm not sure I want to run 33's, but at least it sounds like I can swap the springs and get rid of the ugly spacers. Are the new links a necessity and did you ride without them for a while?

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
Dan188 what size tires and what kind do you have? I'm about to buy the RC 2.5" kit and I'm trying to figure out what tires will look and perform the best.

·
Registered
376 Posts
BLKTJ - I ran for about a week without the links. It was ok, but I definitely felt a little more stability in turns once I added the links. And the terra flex links are not too expensive (130 ish, I think). They are quick disconnect (if you care about that) and greasable, but the length doesn't adjust like the JKS links. And they took about 30 minutes to install per side.

Invert - my tires are 33x12.50x15 Mickey Thompson Baja Claws. I have about 2,500 miles on them and so far I really like them. They are not at all loud on the highway, but they do rumble a little bit under 10 mph. They do VERY well off-road. Here is a picture of some mud I was in and the claws were able to dig their way out without me needing any assistance.

and in the pictures below you can really see the tread pattern. Keep in mind that these are directional, so they can only be rotated front to back unless you have the tires re-mounted.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Now all I need to do is find a way to get them swapped without the wife knowing I re-spent more money to do the same thing I told her I was going to do the first time.:D

·
i'm......... lost
1,668 Posts
Did you have to regear? If not then is 5th gear even usable if you have a MT? How much did your gas mileage drop? Finally do you have any idea if a 12.50 width tire will fit these wheels ( Granite Alloy GA9 Flat Black w/Mach Lip )?

Sorry for thread jacking :D
i couldnt see anything on width of those rims.. so they may or may not fit. do you know how wide they are?

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i couldnt see anything on width of those rims.. so they may or may not fit. do you know how wide they are?
More importantly, no backspacing/offset info. Stock rims will only work with up to a 10.5" tire before rubbing on the coil spring perches.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Found the BS on them to be 3.74" so I'd think they should fit with 33". I had to re-find the wheels on the site.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
BTW dan, I may be seeing you up there at RC this summer.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Now all I need to do is find a way to get them swapped without the wife knowing I re-spent more money to do the same thing I told her I was going to do the first time.:D
if she finds out, tell her it's a Jeep thing and she wouldn't understand! haha, I hate that sticker but maybe it will work for you. One serious thing though, once you get the new springs in you may want to put the T-case drop in if you have any vibrations. I don't have a drop because I didn't get any vibrations but I have heard some guys saying they needed to lower the T-case a little bit (like 1/2 inch... and definitely let me know if you go to RC! I love it there.

Invert - as for milage and highway driving, I have a MT with 3.73 gears, NOT the 3.05's (or whatever most TJ's have). My milage around town has not dropped much at all. The last time I checked I had 14 mpg... 5th gear is usable on the highway, but I only use 5th when going over 62-63 mph. Going 58-60 mph in 5th is fine on flat road, but you can't pass anyone. So I prefer to either drive at 65-70 mph on the highway in 5th so I am in the power band, or go 55 mph in 4th... 55-56 mph in 4th is about 2,400 rpm, I think. The only time I get a little frustrated is when I want to go 60 mph with traffic and I want to use 5th, but I need 4th if I have to pass people or go up a big hill... and if the wheels you want have 3.75 backspacing, 33's should work. I am pretty sure my wheels are 3.75 or 4.00 but I don't remember which. It is whatever quadratec has for most of their wheels

1 - 20 of 23 Posts