Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

21 - 40 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
There is an episode of "Roadkill" on YouTube where they shortened the frame on a truck like that. They were going to drive it across the country but couldn't get it done on time. It did make a cool looking truck though. Whatever you do don't paint the cab! Just clear coat it at most! That thing looks awesome!

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Very cool COE. Glad you didn't have that trailer crap out on the road.

Keep us posted on the progress.

·
Registered
14,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
There is an episode of "Roadkill" on YouTube where they shortened the frame on a truck like that. They were going to drive it across the country but couldn't get it done on time. It did make a cool looking truck though. Whatever you do don't paint the cab! Just clear coat it at most! That thing looks awesome!
That's the plan. Although I do have to fix some of the body. Drivers side dlower door jamb is bad and floor board is shot. Also my grandfather used 12 sheet metal screws to attach a monstrous mirror. I'll need to fix the door hinges so they shut better.

But yes the color and paint are staying.

·
Registered
14,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Very cool COE. Glad you didn't have that trailer crap out on the road.

Keep us posted on the progress.
It scared the crap out of me when I was tilting the bed to unload. It would have killed me if it had broke like that going down the road at 65.

I'm very glad it didn't happen during one of many family trips to Moab hauling the Jeep through the Rockies.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
It scared the crap out of me when I was tilting the bed to unload. It would have killed me if it had broke like that going down the road at 65. I'm very glad it didn't happen during one of many family trips to Moab hauling the Jeep through the Rockies.
Yep. Pretty scary. Good reminder for the rest of us to check over our trailers. Glad the timing was in your favor

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
That's the plan. Although I do have to fix some of the body. Drivers side dlower door jamb is bad and floor board is shot. Also my grandfather used 12 sheet metal screws to attach a monstrous mirror. I'll need to fix the door hinges so they shut better. But yes the color and paint are staying.
Also if there is any possible way to do it I would keep the wheels. Those old two piece wheels are super cool. Good luck finding a tire shop that will touch them though.

·
Registered
14,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Also if there is any possible way to do it I would keep the wheels. Those old two piece wheels are super cool. Good luck finding a tire shop that will touch them though.

I'm only keeping the cab. I'm going to run super singles on the rear. Alcoa rims almost around.

·
normalità controindicato
308 Posts
Trailer Karma in your corner. :)

Epic. This thread over the next 24 months. :popcorn:

·
Registered
14,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Wholly crap Nick, damn scary.
I'm going to weld it up and sell it. Stacy gave me the green light to buy a larger trailer. I'll get a 20' tiltbed with 10k axles.

·
Registered
14,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Just asked the mods to move the thread to builders corner and change the title to nicks 52 Chevy Coe build

·
Registered
14,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #35

·
Registered
14,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #36

·
Registered
14,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
So I joined a Ratrod forum. Has not disappointed. I was schooled on the advantages of using a dually van instead of a truck for a donor vehicle. The vans have the engine forward and the front axle set back. The steering is also easier to convert. So....I'm looking for a one ton dually van, motorhome, school bus, box truck.

·
Registered
14,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Ordered 500lb casters and some steel to build a cab cart. Little Solidworks and I'm ready to weld up this afternoon.

·
Registered
14,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Stopped at the farm to get some pics and take measurements for the cab cart. This old beast is in incredibly good condition.

21 - 40 of 96 Posts