Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm about to install some new ball joints on my JK and figured a re-sleeve would make sense since the axle shafts need to come out. I like the Nitro sleeves because no welding is required, but it sure looks like it'll be a PITA to install. The YouTube videos I see show people making various tools to get the sleeves in since the knuckles are in the way. Others put them in dry ice so that the metal shrinks temporarily for easier fitment.

Does anyone have a good write-up, tips, tricks, etc? Anything else related to the axles tubes that should be done at that point? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Hey all, I'm about to install some new ball joints on my JK and figured a re-sleeve would make sense since the axle shafts need to come out. I like the Nitro sleeves because no welding is required, but it sure looks like it'll be a PITA to install. The YouTube videos I see show people making various tools to get the sleeves in since the knuckles are in the way. Others put them in dry ice so that the metal shrinks temporarily for easier fitment. Does anyone have a good write-up, tips, tricks, etc? Anything else related to the axles tubes that should be done at that point? Thanks!
Don't sleeve. All the hype is false from what a highly regarded shop in Denver told me they now discovered. I got em from them and wish I didn't. Third attempt to seal the axles coming up here, though weld-in, I'd still say no from what they have learned! Gussets are sufficient for most wheeling

·
Registered
907 Posts
Don't sleeve. All the hype is false from what a highly regarded shop in Denver told me they now discovered. I got em from them and wish I didn't. Third attempt to seal the axles coming up here, though weld-in, I'd still say no from what they have learned! Gussets are sufficient for most wheeling
I sleeved and gusseted the front D30 on my rig before I even did any serious off roading.
I installed synergy tie rod and drag link recently , had alignment done the tech told me my
Axle is bent a little , pass side. So I guess it's just if it makes you feel better to sleeve it
Go for it....just saying.....

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I sleeved and gusseted the front D30 on my rig before I even did any serious off roading.
I installed synergy tie rod and drag link recently , had alignment done the tech told me my
Axle is bent a little , pass side. So I guess it's just if it makes you feel better to sleeve it
Go for it....just saying.....
So you're saying you sleeved the tubes, then did your off-roading and still bent the tube slightly? What type of off-roading? Moderate to extreme?

·
Registered
595 Posts
Sleaves protect axle tubes after the diff (landing on a large rock)..truss prevents tubes from bending at diff..and all across..
I have truss, gussets, sleaves, and skids on lower control arm brackets

·
Registered
907 Posts
So you're saying you sleeved the tubes, then did your off-roading and still bent the tube slightly? What type of off-roading? Moderate to extreme?
Yes, actually the alignment was done at the 4x shop that I go to and has done work on my jeep.
The sales guy that always helps me even mentioned to the tech, hey didn't we sleeve and gusset
His front axle.his Response YES. It just comes with the territory , If you wheel it stuff happens
I usually wheel moderate to difficult trails. So I can't bitch.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts