Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at buying a set of new tires and I'm at a price point dilemma. I've managed to find two deals that have each set within $50 of each other. I was always planning on Nitto Trail Grapplers, but after reading a bunch and talking with others I've been considering the STT PRO. I like the look and reputation of NITTO but I like the lesser weight (nearly 10#) and improved performance in snow and ice of the STT PRO.

I'm living in Utah now and I know the snow and ice will be significant. Nothing like some dumb first world problems.

What's y'all's opinions.........

Current build: 2016 JKUR Hardrock #HardrockREVjku
Past builds: '79 & '81 CJ7, 93 ZJ, 04 TJ Rubi

·
Registered
877 Posts
I'm running the STT pro and they are awesome on and off road. They handle great in the snow, they don't hydroplane like duratracs do going through standing water. I live in New England. Running 35x12.50r15. They balanced easy and are about the same as the Duratrac for road noise. I don't know about the nitto since only lifted street trucks run them around me, never actually seen them on a rig. Haven't heard anything bad besides the weight and balancing them. I wheeled with like 40 rigs the other day and only one had Nitto. See if you can find someone with them and see how they feel driving if you get a chance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I couldn't think of a single thing the STT Pros could be better at. They balance wonderfully too btw.

I daily drive them and have beat on them off road with hardly a scratch on them. They are some tough tires. Mine are e rated. But still ride nice and soft.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
I'm a Cooper fan ---- another vote for the Pro.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I have had my STT pro's on for about a month now. First experience with this type of tire. There is some road noise, but not excessive (my friend has TG on his truck and they are much louder) So far they have only seen street use. 2 weeks is one of our off roading events, so I will get to see how they work off road. They don't ride too rough on the street though. I am running them at 28 psi and it isn't uncomfortable at all

·
Registered
11 Posts
I ran the stt pros in 37's for over a year and loved them. They held up on the rocks and had great traction in the snow and ice. The only reason I got rid of them was for a pretty decent deal for 40" Toyo O.C. Mts. I wouldn't think twice about buying the Stt pro's again. Fantastic tires

Sent from my SM-G930VC using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Honestly, i don't think you will go wrong either way. I haven't run the Coopers STT Pro's, but they're the newer tire when compared to the Nittos, and people seem to like them, they're tough, and seem to have decent thread life. I ran the Nitto TG's now for a 3rd time, though 1st time running them in the Jeep, most rigs here in Socal trails are either running Nitto TG's or Toyo MT's, or GY MTR's, and now you can see the STT's in a lot of other vehicles as well including Jeeps, so that's good indication the STT's pro are nice tires to have when you need something that can handle tough terrain.

Don't know any MT tire that perform well in icy roads, hard snow sure, icy roads are hard for most, if not all MT options out there, so some people do some custom sipping and that helps a lot, the Nitto TG's are decent in rain or snow, and i'll think the Coopers will be the same, ice ? i'll prefer to have KO2's all day over any MT for sure under wintry conditions that doesn't involved heavy packed snow.

I'll say if weight is a concern, go with the STT's, the Nittos are heavier, and you will definitely feel the weight, i just replaced my KO2's in 315/70/17 for Nitto TG's in the same size, the weight difference is there for sure, TG's are really not that noisy when new, but as they rack miles, you'll hear them, i love the noise, that's just what define MT tires :), but also that weight seems to really make for a tough tire, Nitto is big in the offroad racing scene, and you bet the TG's are tough tires if you're playing in the rocks, i used to get 45k miles out of my sets, and still had plenty of meat left, i'm not expecting anything different out the Jeep now, it's my DD and weekend toy.

Toss a coin if you don't know which one to get, or pick one based on price or weight, or maybe whichever design you like the most. i went with Price, got my set from Discount tires, brand new for $166 each, can't go wrong with a nice discount from time to time :)

Pumped up at 30psi here, and the ride is still smooth (though i went D rated on purpose)

Untitled by Wrangler RSM, on Flickr

·
Jeeper
5,096 Posts
Ive been running the STT pros and love them . They perform awesome on & off road. They do so well my buddy bought them in 35s. I balanced them for him and they balanced well.One tire didnt take any weight,there 35s!

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well thanks everyone for the feedback. Y'all's experiences with this were right in line with my thinking and experiences I've heard from others. Can't wait to see these shoes installed with MC 3.5 and some falcons!

Current build: 2016 JKUR Hardrock #HardrockREVjku
Past builds: '79 & '81 CJ7, 93 ZJ, 04 TJ Rubi

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Either are fine - Go with the Coopers

Either are fine - We'd say go with the Coopers STT's PROs (well... you already did so Congratulations!)

We've had *BAD* experiences with properly inflated and loaded BFG truck tires so we have sworn off (forever) BFG for the duration and switched to Cooper brand tires. Yes there are a lot of BFG fans out there especially for the AT/KOs... and Michelin has produced/owned the BFG name since 1989.

We're also *NOT* fans of Michelin on large RVs (few folks put Michelins on Wranglers... so not much to say there) and have had good luck with not-cheap heavy-duty Goodyear RV and MTR Jeep tires. Michelin LTX M/S2 tires do very well on light road trucks.

Not thrilled with General tires on trucks or Jeeps either. Have also experimented recently with premium ISO9000 company off-shore tires on non-Jeep light vehicles, with good success.

Trailer tires are a mess but the emerging all steel construction trailer tires may offer some enhanced reliability and future relief from failures. In the mean time, get a Tire Pressure (and temperature) Monitoring System (TPMS) system, and of course check your pressures, loading, and watch your speed as always.

Above comments were based upon several decades of experience, many tire purchases, and many years/many miles of use.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Warranty

Did anybody had an experience with Cooper's warranty?
Good? Bad?
I currently have a hair splitting situation with them over a dangerously faulty 40" STT Pro

·
Registered
336 Posts
I just ordered my first set of Coopers and can't wait to try them out. I'm not too impressed with the Nittos off-road. Don't get me wrong, they're an awesome tire and definitely out perform the Toyo MT on road, but not seem to not have as much grip in the rocks etc.. I've been watching a lot of videos of people with similarly built Jeeps going up obstacles where the Coopers walk up and the Nittos are slipping and sliding.

I'm running Maxxis right now and they are really tough (like them over the Nitto as well), but I'm moving to 37"s and want to change it up.

·
Registered
336 Posts

·
Registered
2017 JKR...
1,901 Posts
Aren't the Cooper's c rated? And the nittos E rated? I haven't been able to find an actual 35 in the stt's but the metric equivalent instead....anyone know where to get 35 12.50 17's?

·
Registered
2017 JKR...
1,901 Posts
Nevermind....found the 315's are E rated and really close to the 35's.....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts