Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. New to jeeps ! New to this yj ! Im trying to put my 93 yj 5spd into 4wd no luck ! Moved Tcase selector by hand 2w/4h/n/4l Eng off in neutral front drive shaft turns free ! What could be the problem ???? Any ideas

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
Make sure the vac line is plugged into the intake manifold. That vac line controls the 4wd light and the vac disconnect.

·
Registered
934 Posts
It may be as simple as some have suggested could also be a broken chain in the t-case. If the CAD doesn't engage the passenger side shaft The driver-side shaft would still lock in with the t-case in 4wd and the drive-line would turn the driver-side wheel by hand if I'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! thats the answer i was looking for! Sounds like a broken chain in the transfer case!!!! Anyone want to buy a yj ?

·
Registered
934 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey guys. 12b gave me some great information and im pretty sure he aint comin to Jersey lol So before I pull out my Tcase I got one last question! (If I disconnect the front drive shaft completely and select 4low eng off should the front yoke spin free?) Can i get some yheas or nays from some of you knowledgeable jeep people out there! Thanks

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
Every time you engage 4H or 4L you will lock the T-Case and the chain will drive the front yoke. If you can spin the yoke by hand in 4H or 4L, there is something broken in the T-Case. Most likely the chain.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Hey guys. 12b gave me some great information and im pretty sure he aint comin to Jersey lol So before I pull out my Tcase I got one last question! (If I disconnect the front drive shaft completely and select 4low eng off should the front yoke spin free?) Can i get some yheas or nays from some of you knowledgeable jeep people out there! Thanks
Sorry to say there is no amount of money that could entice me to go to the Garden state.

Yes you are correct

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey guys. Can i swap out an older np231 J. Tcase it was mated with a ax5 trans. my tail shaft looks different! What do i need to look for? Thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It turned out to be a 21spline!! 6cyl is 23 correct? Im still looking! Salvage yard wants $400 w/208000 miles !! Anybody got one cheap !?

·
Registered
934 Posts
Yes, If you have a 6cyl you'll need a 23 spline T-case

·
Super Moderator
12,676 Posts
A chain is $80.00-$100.00 plus you'll probably find a few worn doo-dads that will require replacing if you elect to repair your current TC..
A used TC may or may not have those same worn doo-dads.

I hear a S-10 transfer case is internally just like a NP231 HD. All the guts are the same as a heavy duty Jeep TC, it's just that the Chevrolet case is different from the Jeep case. You should confirm this with someone that actually knows before buying a S-10 TC. I think a S-10 TC might be pretty cheap if you can find one in your local Pick & Pay.
A Cherokee TC can work but you need to drill the back of your transmission. It's called clocking and there's a jig available to do it precisely.

Wrecked Wranglers are kinda rare in the salvage yards because a lot of wrecks end up as trail rigs or parted out by the owner.
Wrecked or rusted Cherokees are more plentiful than Wranglers. I'd expect to find a lot more S-10s in any salvage yard than Wranglers.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Deadjeep is in RI w/shipping?? I will check into an S10 mac! A guy in NY has a np231J 23spline out of a XJ What the ;;;;,; is an XJ ?lol Will it WORK!! Thanks,guys

1 - 20 of 27 Posts