Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1995 wrangler 4 banger
so i live in the upper peninsula of Michigan where the snow does accumulate, and was just picking up my friend after its been snowing a bit today and the roads are horrible and was driving around in 2wd and messed around a bit but then i wasnt ablke to make it up a hill so i stopped and put it in 4wd and didnt do a thing no light, nothin, a few weeks ago my buddy got stuck in his trail blazer and it was stuck pretty good. so i had it in 4 low and gave it a few good tugs and i finally got him out wondering if that would have done it,( brake something?):banghead:

·
Registered
450 Posts
Easiest thing is to just lift it so all four wheels are off the ground and see if the front drive shaft and wheels turns in 4WD. With it up you can at least start to isolate where the problem is. You just might have cracked vacuum lines.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tried turning the drive shaft while on the ground in 4wd..nothing, was told thats a good way to eliminate anything in front of the transfer case...also was wondering about fluid could that cause this also? vacuum lines? where are they located didnt see any when i took a quick peek

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so when i do look at the vacuum lines...where exactly are they in relation to other parts..and if this is the problem what would the damage be $$$ ?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok sorry but this might be confusing i just lifted it so all four tires are off the ground transfer case was fine front drive shaft was turning but not front tires..so still on vacuum lines so ignore the 3rd post by me

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
pulled the vacuum shift line off the vacuum motor and had pressure and suction..when i pulled it off i heard a psssss and put my figures on it too... so fork?

·
Registered
332 Posts
The dash light is directly triggered by the vacuum motor moving the fork. If the light doesn't come on then the fork is not moving. It may be a problem with the fork or it may just be a stuck vacuum motor.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had problems with my 4WD not working either and still haven't got around to fixing it but when I do I am putting in the posi-lok cable actuator. My fork and actuator were both messed up. It costs a little more but from what I've heard and read about it, it's a lot more reliable and lasts a lot longer than the stock vacuum actuator.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well got a new vacuum motor got it all put together but the thing is when i was taking the four bolts out, i snapped the heads off of 3 bolts got one of them ok...so i pb blasted them a few times and couldnt get it with channel locks wouldnt budge so now im thinking torch...hopefully i can get em with it...if not im out of ideas.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts