Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just dropped in to our local 4 Wheel Parts store here in Albuquerque to get a price on a set of five of these: Pro Comp Steel Wheels - Series 98 Rock Crawler - Gloss Black Monster Mod Wheel | 4WheelParts.com

They told me that they would not fit nor would almost ANY other 16" aftermarket wheel because the brake calipers rub. And, that only 17" and bigger would fit the JK.

That would be all fine and good had I not just bought a set of 33" tires that happen to be mounted on my OEM steelies. I suspect this is BS but thought I would ask the forum to confirm.

Thanks!

/randy

·
Registered
311 Posts
No issues with my 16"Level 8 wheels. Have you checked Discount Tire? I believe they carry Pro Comp

·
Registered
405 Posts
I had 255/85/16 non my stock 16x7 oem rims. I now have the same tires on 16x8 alloy rims with 4.5 inch backspace, no problems.

Maybe some 16 inch steel aftermarket rims (wagon wheel type) will not clear the rotors due to the way they are made. You might need 3.75 or 4 inch backspace for steel rims to fit.

Not for sure, just a guess

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
People run 15" wheels with the proper backspacing on this forum without issue, they just won't be able to run big brake kits.

I run a 16" aftermarket wheel and don't forget the base sport is also a 16" wheel..So yeah the guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

·
Registered
806 Posts
People run 15" wheels with the proper backspacing on this forum without issue, they just won't be able to run big brake kits.

I run a 16" aftermarket wheel and don't forget the base sport is also a 16" wheel..So yeah the guy doesn't know what he's talking about.
It's my guess that is a job requirement from my wheel shopping experience.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I was told locally that 15's would not fit, so I came here and made sure the guy was uneducated before ordering my setup from Discount tire. No issues here running the 15's for 20,000 miles. Not only do they look better to me they where much cheaper than 17's.

·
Registered
349 Posts
It has to be the backspacing on the wheel that makes it not fit because you can fit all the way down to 15" from a diameter perspective. If the guy at the shop doesn't know that, you should probably go somewhere else.

·
Registered
527 Posts
It's my guess that is a job requirement from my wheel shopping experience.
I can't tell you how many time I have researched a product and gone into a "professional aftermarket" shop only to have them prove to me they have no clue what the hell they are talking about. It's 9 out of 10.

·
Registered
910 Posts
There's alot of 16" wheels that will work with the right back spacing. Raceline raptors fit fine in 16x8 and 4.5b.s. verily inexpensive too. Hardest part is picking the style you like.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts