Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done a lot of lurking trying to find a solution to my Jeep's vent problem, but none worked??

2004 - Wrangler w/ 4.0, A/C and no Cruise.
Problem - Air will not come out the front vents, it will just come out the floor. Defrost and Floors work fine. A/C blows cold and works fine, it just all comes out the floor.
Attempted Fixes - I've heard it could be a leaky vacuum hose. I followed the hose in the motor compartment and didn't find any leaks. I disconnected the hose from the box located below the battery when the Jeep was off and heard air release....so I'm assuming it's not a vacuum hose leak. I also check the arm that controls the blend below the dash and it looks fine.

Suggestion? Any help to a newby would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, I found the problem....so, new questions.

As I was tracing vacuum hoses, I originally only found 1 place below the dash (driver side) that connects to vacuum hoses and it looked fine. Then I just found another behind the jockey box...it looked fine also. So I started to search and found another in the middle....in front of the console. It's NOT fine. It doesn't look like there is nothing for the arm to connect to.

Am I going to need to replace that whole part. Also, do I need to take the whole dash and console apart to reach this thing? It's really stuff behind there!

·
Registered
126 Posts
What's a jockey box?

I've got a 2002 with a similar problem. Replaced vacuum line in engine compartment. Inspected lines under dash. Replaced the selector switch unit.

One day I went out and found a plastic piece laying in the passenger side floorboard. Started a thread on here with pics but no one could identify it. Took it to the jeep dealership parts department and they identified it as "part" of a bigger "unit" that would need to be replaced as a unit. They suggested I take the dash apart to find where it goes. Don't really want to take the dash apart so I'm living with the issue for now.

Here's a link to the original thread.
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/can-anyone-identify-this-part-256881.html

I was thinking the part in the pic might be the part that is missing from your system. Maybe it fell out like mine did and someone just tossed it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jockey box....aka: Glove box? Must be a Northwest thing. ;)

It looks like you have the same issue. I was hoping there would be some magical way to replace that part without taking the dash apart. I'll have to wait for the weather to turn crappy and dig into then.

Thanks for the INFO!

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Probably one of the actuators is bad or the vacuum hose is off or leaking or the arm to the door is disconnected or broken. Here is a diagram of the actuators (typical so yours may be slightly different). See if they all move as they should when you move the mode switch to the various positions. Pay special attention to the top (1) one. Notice that the arm to that one is somewhat hidden by the arm from another one. If the plastic arm that connects to the door is out you may be able to reattach it with a sheet metal screw.

Good info in the FSM. If you don’t have one use the link below & pick 2003 which is the newest one they have but very similar to your 2004.

See online read only FSMs here:
Jeep Knowledge Base
You may have to go to the bottom of the page & pick Jeep Resources & online manuals if it directs you to home page rather than the knowledge base.

From the FSM

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same thing- in the end it was the vacumn line running by the battery had a pin hole in it from a cracked batteryb case and drips of acid ate a hole in it. I replaced all the lines ( they were rigid plastic) it all works now!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts