Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son bought a '94 YJ and we have almost all the oddities worked out but the backup lights remain an issue.

We found the wires intact on the backup switch but its disconnected. I've seen where folks have said they break on occasion. There is a connector that seems its meant for the backup light switch but the connectors are different. See pics below.

Is this the wrong backup switch given the connector difference or is there an adapter?

Google Album
https://photos.app.goo.gl/VUv4wN6bCbzLbzzb6

Loving the time w/ my son working on his Jeep. We are learning together.

·
Super Moderator
11,096 Posts
Welcome to the Forum awreneau,

Based on the pics, I'm guessing you have a 4 cyl with standard shift.
The plug on the harness looks to be for an automatic transmission. Is it possible your YJ was converted from auto to standard shift? If so, the simple thing to do is buy a weatherproof male & female plug assembly and connect the two back up light circuit wires
(via the new plug) to the transmission and abandon the third wire that's for a neutral safety circuit. You can determine which wires are for the back up lights by turning the key on and locating the hot wire with your test light. Then use a fused jumper wire to temporarily connect to the hot wire and probe the other two wires to see which one turns on the back up lights.

Another cure might be to buy a standard shift plug from a junkyard harness and replace just the automatic plug (again, abandoning the third neutral safety circuit wire). That would keep the Jeep slightly more as it came from the factory.

If the Jeep has always been standard shift, perhaps a PO (Previous Owner) had an electrical issue and replaced a damaged harness with one from an automatic shift wreck.

Let us know if this works out.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you are correct in the engine and trans but it was never, to my knowledge, an automatic. I have the "build sheet" from Jeep but given its a 94 the build sheet could be off a bit.

https://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/BuildSheetServlet?vin=1J4FY19P3RP418284

I've found the PO did take a few short cuts here and there but nothing major, thus far.

I like your 2nd suggestion better

"Another cure might be to buy a standard shift plug from a junkyard harness and replace just the automatic plug (again, abandoning the third neutral safety circuit wire). That would keep the Jeep slightly more as it came from the factory."

So, to be sure I understand I'll cut the square(ish) connector off and solder in the proper connector to mate w/ the connector coming from the backup light sensor switch?

Thanks for your help!

Wes

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In follow up to my last post, as we discover the shortcuts or any problems I've tried to get it back to stock or keep it stock so in the event we bump into the issue again we'll have an easy solution vs a hack. To that point, would you recommend replacing the wiring from the fuse box to the trans? It's a tall order but I like things predictable. Also, if this is reasonable, do you happen to know the part number for that wiring harness? I've not had much success in finding the part numbers. Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
11,096 Posts
Find a post by Got it at last. In his signature there's a free link to several Factory Service manuals and a couple Factory Parts Manuals.
Open that link and click on the manual that you need.

My parts catalog only goes as new as 1990. You might find the part number if Got it at last has a catalog that covers your 1994 YJ.

In any event, I doubt that you'll be able to locate a new harness for a 25 year old vehicle. The simplest thing to do is to replace the harness plug with one from a salvage yard. It's a good chance that a Cherokee plug will work. You won't find too many Wranglers in junkyards, and the ones you do find will be pretty well picked over.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
When I swapped out my BA-10 AX-15 the b/u light switches were different, so I cut both sides off the factory plugs and put a new weather pack connector and moved on.

Manuals below in dropbox link.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Find a post by Got it at last. In his signature there's a free link to several Factory Service manuals and a couple Factory Parts Manuals.
Open that link and click on the manual that you need.

My parts catalog only goes as new as 1990. You might find the part number if Got it at last has a catalog that covers your 1994 YJ.

In any event, I doubt that you'll be able to locate a new harness for a 25 year old vehicle. The simplest thing to do is to replace the harness plug with one from a salvage yard. It's a good chance that a Cherokee plug will work. You won't find too many Wranglers in junkyards, and the ones you do find will be pretty well picked over.

Good Luck, L.M.
Thank you!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Attempted this fix yesterday. I grabbed my test light and grounded to the frame and found only 1 hot wire but pressing the probe into connector and cut the correpsonding wire. In doing so I blew a fuse and lost the positive connection. Replaced the fuse and still no longer have the "hot" side. I got a better pic of the connection that is down there and I'll share them.

Ideas?

Added the photos to the album
Google Album
https://photos.app.goo.gl/VUv4wN6bCbzLbzzb6

1 - 9 of 9 Posts