Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've got a some what unique thing happening with my wife's 93 wrangler. It started out with her leaving school to find she had no turn signals (inside indicators and outside actual bulbs), and also no radio (aftermarket Sony radio).

I checked and swapped the 15amp fuse for the turn signals, and got all of the turn signals back except the right rear. I could hear the signal flasher whining when it was signalling to the right side. I swapped the rear bulb out, and got the most dim light up of the light possible. I swapped the other bulb back in and got the same thing. I ran a ground to the housing of the bulb socket assuming a bad ground there, but no luck. I messed with other combinations to no avail. Then, for giggles, I pulled the trailer wiring harness out of the bumper (it just slips into an open hole in the custom hitch). It had fallen out a while back and drug on the ground, bearing some of the terminals. Guess what, as soon as I pulled it out, I got full turn signals back.

I still have no brake lights. The brake light switch is connected, but I have not traced it for power etc as of yet.

The radio got it's power from a single output directly from the fuse panel, which is a constant power. It no longer has power. there is a switched "radio" designation on the fuse block, which I hooked the radio wire now in to and I have it working, but since it's switched I get no clock or saved settings etc.

The only other thing I have though of, is the wiring for the trailer harness is sort of hacked up, but seems to be taped and wire nutted.

I also have reverse lights too.

Any directions or help to get me tail lights? :banghead:

·
Registered
879 Posts
the trailer harness is done, most likely corroded and shorted internally

i had one on my S10 turn on the reverse lights whenever i made a right turn

·
Registered
12 Posts
all my tail lights were acting weird on my 95 and to fix it i put some new rubber washes behind where the connectors. where the tail gate and tub meet.

·
Registered
717 Posts
grounds

When working with trailer and rear vehicle lights, I have found that when things go irrational, it is almost always the grounding system someplace. When a circuit can't find an adequate ground it returns back through other lights. If things go dim, or wrong lights come on, I make it a point to really pursue all the ground connections. If on a trailer, I will generally take a battery jumper and jump the trailer to the vehicle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts