Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked my lights o the 98TJ, and discovered the brake lights were not working when the pedal was pushed. The turn signals and four ways work, so I presume the bulbs are ok. Any ideas?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,383 Posts
Could be the brake light switch mounted on the upper part of the brake pedal mechanism... in a back-breaking location to get to and work on. :eek:

·
i'm back
13,706 Posts
do you have a test light? might have to start tracing the wire... could be a bad brake light switch.. i'd probably start there. see if you're getting power out (with the pedal depressed). if not - you know the switch is bad... :thumb:

·
Commercial Member
831 Posts
Could be the brake light switch mounted on the upper part of the brake pedal mechanism... in a back-breaking location to get to and work on. :eek:
I'm with Jerry on this one as it just happened on my 2000TJ. It's a $20 part from a local parts store. It is painful to get to, it comes out with a 1/4 turn and pull. Do a search on here to find out and how to test it. Very simple fix.

·
Commercial Member
831 Posts
ok, I found the post that helped me:

Originally Posted by wwch99tj
Check the switch at the brake pedal could be loose connection or need replaced

Removal Remove the steering column and the knee protector covers Push down hard on the brake pedal, and at the same time turn the switch assembly counterclockwise 1/4 to 1/2 a turn and remove the switch Remove wiring harness

Testing switch

Pull plunger all the way out Test for continuity between two terminals nearest the plunger, none =replace switch Push plunger all the way in Test continuity between the two terminals furthest away from the plunger, none =replace switch

Replacing Replacing switch is the opposite of removal but pull out the plunger all the way. Once its installed pull the brake pedal as far up as you can. You should hear that ratcheting sound as the switch adjusts itself

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks.

Thanks for the tips, people. Ended up with a bad use and a switch. Got the echlin switch fro NAPA, $18.00 OTD. Not to bad.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
okay, it happened again. Hopped in my 98 TJ, checked the lights, no brake lights. again. 4 ways, turn signals, running lights, a;; ok. Fuse is good. Swapped the switch, and still no brake lights. Any helpful suggestions for a newbie would be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
15,653 Posts
On mine it was the multifunction switch don't go aftermarket get oem I used a neon one from u pull it as neons stay dry inside and are more available than wranglers

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
On mine it was the multifunction switch don't go aftermarket get oem I used a neon one from u pull it as neons stay dry inside and are more available than wranglers
^^^This is a good bet. Since it's just the brake lights blowing the fuse and not the turn signals, chances are there is a rogue wire being grounded in the multifunction (turn signal) switch. From the switch to the back lights, turn signals and brakes use the same wiring.

·
Registered
540 Posts
mine quit working along with my dash lights when my front driver side blinker socket went bad. It got water in it and kept shorting out the fuse.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts