Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just got my 99 TJ on Tuesday, and I love it. One problem, that I noticed last night, is the No Bus odometer error (check engine light on, airbag light on, fuel, speedometer, and oil gauges fail). I know this is a common problem, and I have read many of the other threads addressing this issue. What I am wondering is if someone could give me a few more specifics. When I knock on the dash, the instruments work again so, from what I have read, it sounds like the cluster has a loose connection or something. I really don't know much about this, so could anyone give me very specific instructions on how to find/recognize the wires to check and how to verify it has a tight connection? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey. For mine, I just removed the cluster (the panel that shows the fuel gauge and speedometer) and used some dielectric grease on it from autozone. It works just fine now. A service manual would help, but let me know if you need help on how to remove the cluster.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm getting the same error. When driving at about 55 then when it gets down to about 10 mph, the error goes away. It does not happen all the time. How do you get the gauge cluster out to clean the contacts?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Im having this EXACT same problem with my 99 sahara. Its at a mechanic shop now. Do you know what I should tell them to do because hes charging me 90 an hour to start looking at it. At first the problem was there was no power going to the engine and the diagnostic test cant read the truck because its saying NO BUS/ NO BU5. So now my truck wont start nor will the computer read. Do you know what I should do?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for your help, I will take that informtaion to my mechanic tomorrow so he can take a look at it. As for the car not starting does that fix that issue too or is it something else?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Not starting could be many things. Mine wouldn't start because the posts on my battery where the cables connect were really dirty and I had to wire brush them. If I were you I wouldn't have you mechanic do the dash fix it is super easy you could do it in about 15 mins!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
What was it doing when you tried to start? Clicking sound? Turning over? Not extremely mechqnicly inclined but learning a lot with my jeep haha oh and the help of this thread!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
it wasnt turning over it was just clicking. im too nervous to do the work myself. i rather have him look at it and i stand over his shoulder. now that i know the dashboard needs to come off i will mention it to him so he could start there

·
Registered
17 Posts
My 97 wouldn't start last week either, turned out to be a bad connection on the solenoid. But now that it's running again my cluster doesnt work. No speedometer, odometer, fuel, oil pressure, temp, anything. The shift light, seatbelt light, and gas light still work though. I took apart the dash and cleaned the connector but still nothing.
Any ideas what else it could be? (I didn't use the dialectic grease because I didn't have any. I'll try that next time I get a chance... Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Clicking usually is starter but take a wire brush to the posts on your battery too. Mine made a strange clicking noise removed the starter and had it tested and it tested fine ( I changed it out anyway cause the new one was cheap). Still nothing or intermitent starting. Had battery tested it was fine but posts really dirty cleaned them up and not a problem since.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts