Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The title says it all. I'm putting in one of the tuffy or rugged ridge stereo consoles in the next few weeks and want to move my stereo into it from the dash (so I can use the dash spot for my light controls). My Jeep has no carpet, just the floor with a bedliner coating all over it.

How would you suggest running the wires to the stereo? Split loom tubing and screw it down by the shifters? run it to the passenger or driver doorway and under?

Wiring costs aren't an issue. Just want it to look decent, hold up against an always exposed cabin and be relatively easy to do.

Thanks!

Denis

·
Registered
553 Posts
I am curious about this also since I have been looking at relocating my stereo.

·
Registered
357 Posts
You could go out the firewall and back in through the floor with proper grommets, but I would just go under the door sill and then under the seat.

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sandy - I'm thinking you're right about the door sill. I was thinking of taking it out the passenger side and just zip tying some split loom along the doorway, tucked under.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
That would make the most sense. There are other wires running along that area if I remember correctly. Might be just my sound bar/light wiring......

·
Registered
357 Posts
Yeah, but if you go passenger side, make sure you don't route it in the way of the slides or pivot.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Put the carpet back in? :thumb::dance::whistling::D

You might be able to run the wires through the floor against the back of the firewall inside, then underneath the Jeep inside of some tough wire looms or a sealed tube, then back into the center console.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I wired in an aftermarket soundbar into my wrangler, ran the wires under the passenger side door sill lip. Also have train horns mounted on my YJ's hood with compressor in the back behind rear seat. 5/8" hose ran under driver side door sill just fine with wire to compressor on passenger side, you can't even see it except for where it is zip tied to the roll bar.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I would use a wire loom just to keep them in check......looks way more professional, as well....

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I would use a wire loom just to keep them in check......looks way more professional, as well....
The best way to do it would be to use heat shrink tubing and then place inside of a wire loom. If you're going to do something, might as well overdo it and not worry about it.

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I like the idea of the heat shrink tubing as well. Once I get everything ran for both the lights and the stereo, I'll heat shrink the whole mess.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts