Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I went to start my jeep and it had it's normally slow crank but in stead of starting it just stopped cranking. The battery has a charge and all the accessories Work in acc. Mode. But when I turn the key to start I hear a loud click and then no crank. The jeep starts if I push start it (it's a stick). So I guess the question is do I need a new starter or I was reading around and thought that maybe the crank sensor could be the cause for the problem. Any ideas? Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
It still could be the battery, have it tested to include a load test. A slow crank isn't normal. A drained battery will still run acc., horn will beep, lights might still work but there won't be enough to turn the engine over. If the battery is definately ruled out it's probably a bad starter. Make sure your cables are hooked up properly and cleaned, especially the ground.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Try starting it with the headlights on.

If the headlights don't dim or dim only slightly, it's your starter. Could also be a bad connection on your starter.

If the headlights go very dim or out, it's your battery.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
kik said:
It still could be the battery, have it tested to include a load test. A slow crank isn't normal. A drained battery will still run acc., horn will beep, lights might still work but there won't be enough to turn the engine over. If the battery is definately ruled out it's probably a bad starter. Make sure your cables are hooked up properly and cleaned, especially the ground.
The battery is a few months old. I don't suspect that it's the problem. It won't even start with a jumper cables. The wires arent in great shape (oxidized/ greenish). But if everything else is working would that still be the problem?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I had the exact same problem on mine. There is a small wire that runs from up from the starter right next to the positive battery cable and plugs into the fire wall. Maybe someone else knows exactly what its called- I'm not the most mechanically inclined person.

On my Jeep, the end of that wire had become so frayed where it connected to the starter (only held on by one tiny nut that had rusted up) that the Jeep wouldn't crank unless you popped the hood and wiggled the wire a little bit. Finally it just wouldn't crank it all, just sat there and made a ticking sound like you have described when the key was turned. I put a new end on the wire and it has started fine ever since.

·
Administrator
30,781 Posts
Before you go out and spend money on a new starter, remove the cables and clean them with a wire brush. Make sure that you remove ALL corrosion. Replace them tightly enough so that they do not move in either direction. Any amount of corrosion no matter how insignificant it may seem can cause the symptoms that you are describing. Always remember, cheapest first.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Corsair said:
I had the exact same problem on mine. There is a small wire that runs from up from the starter right next to the positive battery cable and plugs into the fire wall. Maybe someone else knows exactly what its called- I'm not the most mechanically inclined person.

On my Jeep, the end of that wire had become so frayed where it connected to the starter (only held on by one tiny nut that had rusted up) that the Jeep wouldn't crank unless you popped the hood and wiggled the wire a little bit. Finally it just wouldn't crank it all, just sat there and made a ticking sound like you have described when the key was turned. I put a new end on the wire and it has started fine ever since.
I had to wiggle the wires to. Then I cut and stripped the ends that go on the battery terminals and it was working fine till now. Maybe I just need all new cables.

·
Registered
47 Posts
If your starter is seized you can take a hammer and knock the starter a little and then try cranking it, if it starts then your starter is bad. But make sure the battery is good first and at full charge.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I had to wiggle the wires to. Then I cut and stripped the ends that go on the battery terminals and it was working fine till now. Maybe I just need all new cables.
You may have a different starter than me, I think YJ's could have two different types. The terminals were the first place I looked when I first had the problem, but just cleaning them up and replacing the ends didn't fix mine until I put a new end on that wire.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Jds Dream is right on the money - Cheapest first. Start at the battery and clean all wires, unbolt them from the terminal ends and wire brush well - brush terminals themselves also. Reconnect and try again - if that doesn't help - go to the starter and clean all those next.

Turning the headlights on is a great way to tell if it is a dead battery - if they go out its dead.... if they only dim its something else.

Could always try the "Farmers Jump"..... heavy metal screwdriver across the starter points... not for the faint at heart though.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just tried the headlight thing. Lights stay bright when I turn the key. I also cleaned the battery post and replaced the wire ends that connect to the battery. Still just getting a single click when I turn the key. I guess I gotta look at the starter connection. I wish I had a garage since the ground is snow covered. :/

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sure sounds like that is the problem - it should engage.
Ugh - hate electrical issues - Good Luck!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey @JeeperRob,

Did you figure out if it was the connection to your starter? Sounds EXACTLY like some symptoms I'm experiencing... just wish it didn't do this to me at 11 PM at night when I'm trying to come home from work!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts