Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, this is my first post here so I might be messing it up. I have a 2005 Jeep Wrangler X, but my dash lights went out on my cluster, climate control, etc. and I don’t have any running taillights or park lights. My headlights still turn on, my turn signals still work, and my brake lights still work. I checked all the fuses multiple times with test light and voltmeter. I currently have my whole dash tore apart checking for lose connections, nothing that I noticed unless I’m missing something. I checked the circuit board behind the cluster and nothings fried, and I do have an aftermarket stereo deck that I’ve had for well over a year. I also already replaced the multi switch on the steering column. Also, checked the bulbs and they’re working since brakes and running lights are on the same bulb. Is it possible I got a dud multi switch? I’m not sure what to do next or really where to go next.

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
61,509 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.

·
Registered
14,332 Posts
So you checked fuses both in box behind glove box and PDC box under the hood?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So you checked fuses both in box behind glove box and PDC box under the hood?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, checked all the ones behind the glove box (specifically fuse 1), and checked the ones in the engine bay.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If not fuse #24 or #14 under the hood then possibly a bad multifunction switch. I’m sure someone here has the 2005 wiring diagram for testing of the switch. You own a multimeter?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If not fuse #24 or #14 under the hood then possibly a bad multifunction switch. I’m sure someone here has the 2005 wiring diagram for testing of the switch. You own a multimeter?
I’ll look for a diagram, and yes I have a multimeter.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Unplug the multifunction switch (MFS) & see if you have 12v at pin 20, a white/orange wire at one corner of the 20 pin grey connector. Also, check for any melting wires or the connector itself near that corner.

If yes either check continuity from pin 20 to pin 9 of the switch when the parking lights are switched on or plug the connector in & see if the pin 9 the white/yellow wire gets 12v power. That will tell you if the switch/wiring to it is good. Then can advise from there if good so far.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unplug the multifunction switch (MFS) & see if you have 12v at pin 20, a white/orange wire at one corner of the 20 pin grey connector. Also, check for any melting wires or the connector itself near that corner.

If yes either check continuity from pin 20 to pin 9 of the switch when the parking lights are switched on or plug the connector in & see if the pin 9 the white/yellow wire gets 12v power. That will tell you if the switch/wiring to it is good. Then can advise from there if good so far.
Yes, have 12 volts at orange/white when unplugged, then plugged back in and checked white/yellow and also have 12 volts.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
If you have 12v at the white/yellow you should have 12v power to the front parking lights & they should come on. The taillights should also have power but that section of the circuit does go through a splice which could be bad but doubtful.

From the MSW at pin 8 is the variable voltage (dimmable) orange/brown wire that is for the other illumination which goes to the cluster. You should have 12v or close to it when the dimmer is at max brightness & drop as you turn it down. That powers the illumination in the cluster at C-2 (16 wire connector) pin 15 & leaves the cluster at C-2 pin 6 (same color) & goes to all of the other illumination places.

If you have good 12v power to the MFS but are not getting proper power out the switch is bad. If you have proper power out but not getting to where it should you have a wiring problem & will need to do some tracing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts