Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Supporting Vendor
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been seeing and reading that most people do not want a JK-8 mostly due to the asking price of a completed build. I think they are cool looking, but with so many better pickup choices on the market especially with seating for 4 the jk-8 market is limited. I see most builds are $40-$60k, depending on options and aftermarket accessories. Steep for most people for a niche vehicle. If the price was cheaper, like the 2012 with 1,000 miles below I am looking at for $35,900, would there be a market?

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
IMO there is definitely a market for a 4 seater Jeep pickup.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I like it...but the price is killer...should of been a factory option ..much cheaper.....or the kit should be able to go back and forth not a one time permenant kit.....that is where it lost a lot of ground

·
Supporting Vendor
621 Posts

·
Supporting Vendor
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like it...but the price is killer...should of been a factory option ..much cheaper.....or the kit should be able to go back and forth not a one time permenant kit.....that is where it lost a lot of ground
maybe on the next gen wrangler it will be a factory option. I think it was said somewhere there will be a jeep pickup next gen wrangler

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
I see next to zero market for a JK-8 at the price they are asking for. I looked at the dimensions last year and outside of looking cool, it is near useless (and WAY overpriced) as a pick-up truck. If you ever look at the size of the bed from the top, the bed it tiny (wheel wells). And it isn't like Jeeps are known for their great towing abiltiy.

·
Registered
823 Posts
If the JK-8 you pictured was around $35,000 I'm sure it would sell in a heartbeat. As you stated, the big deterrent for potential buyers is the astronomical price dealerships ask for these. What Jeep really needs to do with the JK-8 though is add in a D60 rear and some heavy duty rear springs to increase the payload and towing capacity to make it at least competitive with real pickup trucks.

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
Build something very similar to the Gladiator and they will come.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I look at one everyday at a dealership on my way to work...It has been there for many months and has 49,000 on the windshield...

·
Supporting Vendor
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
other than looking cool, not too useful. That is what I like about the 4 dr wrangler, put the rear seats down and you have a large space to haul stuff. Need to haul 4 people, leave the back seat up. The 4dr wrangler is so useful!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Love the idea and look of the JK-8 but hate the end result and price. As Mudrunner said, add a D60 and heavier duty springs from the factory to go along with a four seater and slightly bigger bed and a lower price and this thing would sell like hotcakes. It would sell even faster with a diesel engine but that is a whole other argument I would like to have with Chrysler.

·
Supporting Vendor
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If the JK-8 you pictured was around $35,000 I'm sure it would sell in a heartbeat. As you stated, the big deterrent for potential buyers is the astronomical price dealerships ask for these. What Jeep really needs to do with the JK-8 though is add in a D60 rear and some heavy duty rear springs to increase the payload and towing capacity to make it at least competitive with real pickup trucks.
Dealer is losing money on that jk-8 just to get rid of it. I'm just thinking if i buy it how hard it would be to sell it when the time comes?

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
The JK-8 would be like...buying a Ford Ranger at the price of a fully loaded F-150. If Jeep could bring it down to the 25-30k price...I think many people would like them for a light duty truck. It would probably closely compare to the Ranger, but be way more capable out of the box.

·
Registered
899 Posts
A JK-8 at a much lower price would be nice.

At the current high price I would be looking at a Ford Raptor, Dodge Ram SRT-10, Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8 or a Tundra Rock Warrior. All more practical with greater towing capacity.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
The JK-8 would be like...buying a Ford Ranger at the price of a fully loaded F-150.
:rofl:

And there it is, stated more colorfully than elsewhere in the thread, but just as true. For the buck, you're not getting a good (or even reasonable) deal on a pickup. Nor are you getting a good (or even reasonable) deal on a Wrangler.

So it's got the offroad capability of a JKU (which you could get for far less) and pickup capabilities similar to a Ford Ranger (which you could get for far less). On top of that, many folks think it's ugly as can be--you either love it or hate it.

It's a niche vehicle at a preposterous price point. So they sit on lots.

·
Registered
176 Posts
if jeep wants to build a truck, THEN JEEPS NEEDS TO BUILD A REAL TRUCK!! not some conversion kit. looks like you can fit two 35 gallon trash cans in the bed and thats it . no one is going to spend 50k for a truck that can only carry glass clippings.

for 50k id rather go buy a superduty/2500 that has rear and front lights that can illuminate the front and back of me...and brakes that work.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've never even seen this until looking at this thread. Honestly, I have a hard time paying more than 10k for any car. I got my tj for 8,500. Yes it was twelve years old, but I don't see how anyone could justify 50k for a small pickup regardless of its off road capabilities. For me a small pickup needs to be less than 30k fully loaded, then I'd wait 5 years and buy a used one.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Bring back the Comanchee with a 4-seater option with some updated technology. Man I loved my 86' Comanchee with the long bed. I rebuilt my house with that truck and carried EVERYTHING from cinderblocks to drywall sheets to 16' x 12" pressure treated wood hanging over the cab..

The JK-8 looks awesome and would be a great toy. But pretty useless.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
If I could have bought a JK-8 from the factory, priced between a 2-door and 4-door (as it should be), I would have bought it in a heartbeat.

I only need two seats, and there's just enough bed space for my intents.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
I want one and looked into building one for a little while but the 6-8 month lead time on the kit killed it for us. At the end of the day the next truck in the house is going to be a Power wagon or a low mile CTD to replace my 06 ram

1 - 20 of 124 Posts