Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does everyone use to secure your dog in the jeep when the doors/top are off?

Thanks!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I put some eyebolts with nuts through the freedom top bolt holes, ran a cable between them. Took another cable and caribinered the cable to his harness. That way he can move a little side to side but can not fall out. It also prevents him from bouncing around too bad offroad or in an accident.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I need to come up with something for my Newfie in the back. I have car seats in the rear seats so he is forced in the back.

·
The Bad Guy
23,233 Posts
Safari Straps!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Attaching a leash to the roll bar and to her harness was my though. Any pics of your set ups in action?

I need to come up with something for my Newfie in the back. I have car seats in the rear seats so he is forced in the back.
I have a Newfie as well. Just got the wrangler and cant wait to bring her around with the top off. She loves it when the windows are open, I can only imagine how much she will love no top or doors.

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
My dog loves top down, but not a fan of doors off which is ok by me because I don't like doors off either. If he did like it I would cage the rear with Safari Straps. I mainly have Safari Straps because they look cool and they provide protection over his head in the rear seat just in case of accident. And they provide a layer of security when I park the Jeep overnight outside with top off.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I would recommend a good harness and then either attached to the rollbar or if in the rear of the JKU to the latch system on the rear seats.

Depending on the size of the dog there are some really nice harnesses out there. One of my dogs is very large so that limited what harnesses I could get. I found the Ruff Rider Roadie harnesses and then fabricated a strap that wraps around the rear roll bar right at the rear seat belt connection. This gives them enough room to roam the rear of the Jeep and if I have the rear seat folded down they can just barely stick their nose in my ear but they cannot jump out the back or sides. I use a quick-link rated at 2k lbs to connect the strap to the harness.

I have not run doorless like this, but do not see a problem if I wanted to.

I would not use a standard leash to connect the harness to the roll bar. Keep in mind if there is an accident there is going to be a lot of force/strain on the leash. The harness I have uses an integrated tether that can act as a leash. This integrated tether was tested to meet the same standards as vehicle seat belts.

One last thing to mention is that none of these harnesses that allow the dog some movement score very well in actual crash tests. The best way is to have the seat belt of the vehicle restrain them right to the seat. As soon as the dog has some freedom to move around it allows for more chances of injury as they go flying for that first instant of a crash. My dogs are simply too big, so I do what I can and try my hardest to avoid crashes. It is sad, but I drive more carefully with the dogs in the car than I do the kids.

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
My 2 ride in the cargo area of my jku. I have a locking carabiner (real one) through the center child seat anchor point and use 2' leashes between the carabiner and their harnesses.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I rigged up my own system for my Black Mouth Cur and my Shepherd.

I got 3" (I think) U bolts, and attached them to the back roll bar near where the top rear seatbelt mount is.

I then got some 5/8" nylon rope, and the kit to create a loop in steel cable, and made a loop on one end of the rope, and attached a quick disconnect to the other (the same kind that is usually found on a dog leash)

Then I attach that to their Kong harnesses, and have the extra rope bungied to the floor mounting loops, which keeps them from getting tangled up on eachother.

It's worked great for the past year.

Sorry for having a brain fart and not actually remembering the names of anything for this haha

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,551 Posts
I use the K9Outfitters' harness and leash. Loop the leash through itself around the rollbar behind rear seat and it keeps his shoulder just inside the door sill. This is in my JKU with him in the rear seat.

Joe

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
I like those Kurgo harnesses, I just wish these vendors would expand their sizes to accept bigger dogs. My Leo is 180lbs and has a 48" chest. Even the X-Large only goes up to 44" chest. The I got the Ruff Rider Roadie basically because it was one of the only ones I could find that were big enough, but these look like a better harness.

@DisturbedMaggot, I would swap out that disconnect for either a real carabiner or something stronger. Those leash type quick connects just are not rated for the types of forces a crash would cause. I would worry that would fail.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I rigged up my own system for my Black Mouth Cur and my Shepherd.

I got 3" (I think) U bolts, and attached them to the back roll bar near where the top rear seatbelt mount is.

I then got some 5/8" nylon rope, and the kit to create a loop in steel cable, and made a loop on one end of the rope, and attached a quick disconnect to the other (the same kind that is usually found on a dog leash)

Then I attach that to their Kong harnesses, and have the extra rope bungied to the floor mounting loops, which keeps them from getting tangled up on eachother.

It's worked great for the past year.

Sorry for having a brain fart and not actually remembering the names of anything for this haha
I'd flip those U-bolts around you get jarred pretty good or roll those dogs are gonna get speared. My lab growing up impaled herself on one holding a net around our trampoline. I had to unhook her from it and it resulted in a solid vet bill, a bunch of stiches, and a drain.

Mike

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Short leash looped to the park brake in a CJ thru JK. Short leash to the roll bar in a JKU. Real simple. Just cut to length to keep him in.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts