Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a 2017 JK Sport and there is no DRL, thought it was standard. I've seen those posts about needing to activate them for switching to LEDs. My question, is it possible to just get the auto option added/"turned on"? Is this going to entail taking steering column apart to put in new signal/light stick? Obviously not the end of the world but also used to auto set-up.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Thought DRL were standard in Canada only, not sure if NOVA location means North Virginia or Nova Scotia.

I am considering using Oracle Waterproof LED halos as DRL's when I want that. Anyone have any experience with this product?

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,853 Posts
depends on your trim level. head back to the service dept and ask them to turn on #DRL sales code on in your ECM. Its a simple plug and play for them.

Jeep makes the option available in the ECM, but does not automatically make them function in the US. Canada is DRL required... so all Jeeps have them turned on.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thought DRL were standard in Canada only, not sure if NOVA location means North Virginia or Nova Scotia.

QUOTE]

Yeah its Northern VA

Not that this is a huge difference but would there be a difference to setting up DRL and automatic headlights? Basically this comes down to laziness of switching on and off haha.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts

QUOTE]

Yeah its Northern VA

Not that this is a huge difference but would there be a difference to setting up DRL and automatic headlights? Basically this comes down to laziness of switching on and off haha.
DRL don't turn on your tail lights (I don't think), so that's a big difference between DRL and automatic headlights.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
DRL is not turned on as standard for Jeeps for the US market, but is programmed into the Jeep in all trim levels and can be enabled. With DRL enabled, your headlights are not on at full brightness like you'd have when turned on in low beam, they operate at a reduced voltage for the purpose of being visibile to other traffic only.

Automatic headlights differs from DRL, and will need a compatible turn signal switch in the stalk and a sensor that only comes in upper trim levels equipped with the feature- if your vehicle's headlight switch doesn't have an "auto" position, it would probably be pretty costly to retrofit this option as there are parts, sensors and programming involved.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DRL is not turned on as standard for Jeeps for the US market, but is programmed into the Jeep in all trim levels and can be enabled. With DRL enabled, your headlights are not on at full brightness like you'd have when turned on in low beam, they operate at a reduced voltage for the purpose of being visibile to other traffic only.

Automatic headlights differs from DRL, and will need a compatible turn signal switch in the stalk and a sensor that only comes in upper trim levels equipped with the feature- if your vehicle's headlight switch doesn't have an "auto" position, it would probably be pretty costly to retrofit this option as there are parts, sensors and programming involved.
Yeah reading around more, realized I meant auto not DRL. I feared it would not be a cheap change/upgrade.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I swear my AEV Procal has a setting to turn them on?

·
Premium Member
1,601 Posts
AEV Procal, Superchips Flashcal and Procal can all be used to turn on DRL. Superchips lets you pick your headlights or your fogs to use as your DRL's.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Yeah reading around more, realized I meant auto not DRL. I feared it would not be a cheap change/upgrade.

Auto isn't that great. Sometimes they are off when I think they should be on. Other times I want them off and they're not.

I swear my AEV Procal has a setting to turn them on?
Yep. Fog lights or heads lights.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Why would anyone want to turn on drl's? My Jeep is Canadian and mine are on. I blame them for having to replace my bulbs 3 times before replacing the entire headlights assembly. Now I'm burning up connectors because of the heat having the lights on constantly generates.

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
Why would anyone want to turn on drl's? My Jeep is Canadian and mine are on. I blame them for having to replace my bulbs 3 times before replacing the entire headlights assembly. Now I'm burning up connectors because of the heat having the lights on constantly generates.
I'm Canadian and have driven DRL's for decades and don't have the issues you do so I would suggest another problem.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looked around on the Jeep again and no sensor hood side of the dash, so no go on auto lights. Did read on another post about EVIC being able to shut lights off after XX seconds engine shut off, that would work fine. Just leave lights in on position and not worry about killing battery, right?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts