Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you guys point me to the right direction for an exhaust with no drone? At this point I wish I still had my stock exhaust. I would prefer something that doesn't hang way down in the rear like the stock trash can did, black would be best, and is bolt in, nothing custom. Please don't tell me about your custom glass-pack setup or to run it with no muffler, I don't care how loud or quite it is outside, I just don't want the drone inside.

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
22,464 Posts
I had an aFe scorpion that when I first put on I did not think it had any drone and it was only after I removed it and put the stock back on did I realize it did have more drone than I originally thought. I painted mine with black bbq paint and it held up well.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FYI, the Flowmaster Outlaw produces crazy loud drone...to the point that I would rather have the wind noise of a few hours on the highway with the doors off and top down than closed up with the drone.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Magnaflow axleback works for me, only comes alive if you step on it. No drone on the highway. You pay a penalty though, the exhaust tips sit right under the bumper, maybe a clearance issue depending how you off-road your Jeep.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Magnaflow axleback works for me, only comes alive if you step on it. No drone on the highway. You pay a penalty though, the exhaust tips sit right under the bumper, maybe a clearance issue depending how you off-road your Jeep.

I agree with this. I have the Magnaflow Y-pipe and cat back (in stainless) - as much as you can replace without replacing stock catalytic converters.

No drone but I do have a manual and automatics may sound different.

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
AFE hi tuck has no drone.

Nice subtle tone over stock only on startup, and when you really get on the gas.
I've been looking into this but I need to call into AFE and talk it over with them because they have the hi tuck systems with multiple mufflers so I want to make sure I am looking at the right one.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm putting Borlas on mine. From the reviews I've read they are drone free.
I love Borla quality and sound...on V8's...I have really been considering this as well but last I checked they didn't have a black version, only black tips. Yes I know, black high temp paint, but there is just something about spending $600-$1,000 on exhaust and then taking a rattle can to it that kind of gets to me.

·
Bella's Jeeper
1,246 Posts
AFE hi tuck has no drone.

Nice subtle tone over stock only on startup, and when you really get on the gas.
I have this too - it took a few months to settle in but now drone free. I switched because I kept hitting the stock exhaust wheeling at stock height so YMMV

·
Registered
820 Posts
aFe is a truly engineered product.
It has a tone but totally depends on your hearing and if it actually works, your hearing that is.
Flowmaster is also an engineered product but most of their engineering was done 30-40yrs ago so you get the exhaust tone of 30-40yrs ago.
Can't knock Flowmaster, I've owned many over the years but for a Wrangler aFe hands down.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
aFe is a truly engineered product.
It has a tone but totally depends on your hearing and if it actually works, your hearing that is.
Flowmaster is also an engineered product but most of their engineering was done 30-40yrs ago so you get the exhaust tone of 30-40yrs ago.
Can't knock Flowmaster, I've owned many over the years but for a Wrangler aFe hands down.
That is good to hear. I am past my days of loud vehicles. I've driven 14 hour trips in Chevy trucks with a 5.3, headers, no cats and Borla XR "mufflers" before...but I no longer find it necessary to have an exhaust so loud that you have to nearly shout over it to have a conversation at highway speeds. I don't care how loud or quite it is on the outside, I just can't stand the loud drone on the inside. The only reason I am going with aftermarket exhaust is because the stock one is a huge trash can that hangs down in the rear and looks terrible with aftermarket rear bumpers.

·
Bella's Jeeper
1,246 Posts
That is good to hear. I am past my days of loud vehicles. I've driven 14 hour trips in Chevy trucks with a 5.3, headers, no cats and Borla XR "mufflers" before...but I no longer find it necessary to have an exhaust so loud that you have to nearly shout over it to have a conversation at highway speeds. I don't care how loud or quite it is on the outside, I just can't stand the loud drone on the inside. The only reason I am going with aftermarket exhaust is because the stock one is a huge trash can that hangs down in the rear and looks terrible with aftermarket rear bumpers.
Here is the afe I have.

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Bella's Jeeper
1,246 Posts
That looks great!
Here is a more recent shot from the back - you can see how nicely tucked up everything is. It is the aFe Scorpion 2-1/2" aluminized steel axle-back exhaust system.

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a Magnaflow muffler that is pretty much a straight pipe that dumps out above the axel.

What I want is a new modular product that does this when I go offroad, but snaps in a true noise controlling muffler back where the stock muffler goes for day to day driving.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have a Magnaflow muffler that is pretty much a straight pipe that dumps out above the axel.

What I want is a new modular product that does this when I go offroad, but snaps in a true noise controlling muffler back where the stock muffler goes for day to day driving.
That would be a nice setup!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts