Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

No DRONE exhaust please...

16K views 35 replies 17 participants last post by  rockred 
#1 ·
Can you guys point me to the right direction for an exhaust with no drone? At this point I wish I still had my stock exhaust. I would prefer something that doesn't hang way down in the rear like the stock trash can did, black would be best, and is bolt in, nothing custom. Please don't tell me about your custom glass-pack setup or to run it with no muffler, I don't care how loud or quite it is outside, I just don't want the drone inside.

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
I had an aFe scorpion that when I first put on I did not think it had any drone and it was only after I removed it and put the stock back on did I realize it did have more drone than I originally thought. I painted mine with black bbq paint and it held up well.

#5 ·
FYI, the Flowmaster Outlaw produces crazy loud drone...to the point that I would rather have the wind noise of a few hours on the highway with the doors off and top down than closed up with the drone.

#6 ·
Magnaflow axleback works for me, only comes alive if you step on it. No drone on the highway. You pay a penalty though, the exhaust tips sit right under the bumper, maybe a clearance issue depending how you off-road your Jeep.

Reactions: Cobra5.4
#10 ·
I've been looking into this but I need to call into AFE and talk it over with them because they have the hi tuck systems with multiple mufflers so I want to make sure I am looking at the right one.

#11 ·
I love Borla quality and sound...on V8's...I have really been considering this as well but last I checked they didn't have a black version, only black tips. Yes I know, black high temp paint, but there is just something about spending $600-$1,000 on exhaust and then taking a rattle can to it that kind of gets to me.

#13 ·
aFe is a truly engineered product.
It has a tone but totally depends on your hearing and if it actually works, your hearing that is.
Flowmaster is also an engineered product but most of their engineering was done 30-40yrs ago so you get the exhaust tone of 30-40yrs ago.
Can't knock Flowmaster, I've owned many over the years but for a Wrangler aFe hands down.

#14 ·
That is good to hear. I am past my days of loud vehicles. I've driven 14 hour trips in Chevy trucks with a 5.3, headers, no cats and Borla XR "mufflers" before...but I no longer find it necessary to have an exhaust so loud that you have to nearly shout over it to have a conversation at highway speeds. I don't care how loud or quite it is on the outside, I just can't stand the loud drone on the inside. The only reason I am going with aftermarket exhaust is because the stock one is a huge trash can that hangs down in the rear and looks terrible with aftermarket rear bumpers.

#20 ·
That would be a nice setup!

#21 ·
I’m running, new to me the Borla climber exhaust and love it. So far at 55-60 cruising u hardly know it is there..

Have had a few other brands on v6 and v8’s and always end up with horrible drone at speed, why I just seem to cut my losses and go Borla. Not had any issues with them yet from my V8 Raptor,GT500, Jeep etc always been happy with the exhaust.

More time with it and we will see when on a trip for sure how it is but I’m fairly confident I will still enjoy the tone. Need get these new gears broke in first.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#22 ·
Keep me posted, I've been considering Borla.

#24 ·
I just pulled the trigger on the AFE Hi-Tuck axle back scorpion. It will be here Monday and I will report back as soon as I get it on.

#25 ·
I installed it this morning before work, so far it seems much better. I only had time to run around the parking lot a few times and up and down the road in front of my work, but so far it seems like this system is much better. I will let you guys know more after a few days of driving.

#26 ·
Alright, so here is the review!

The AFE Hi-Tuck was SOOO worth it! I thank all that recommended it! I am sure the Magnaflow suggestions would have helped for the drone as well, I just really liked that the Hi-Tuck hides so much more. It is much a bit quieter under all driving conditions but the best part is NO DRONE! For those that have never heard exhaust drone in the cab of a vehicle before, just think about the sound of a loud vehicle driving past you under a bridge or in a tunnel...the sound booms and echos all around your, like you are inside a tin can. The Flowmaster Outlaw exhaust would hit certain RPM ranges and just DRONE. The bad part is from 60-80 the drone was horrible, this made highway travel not so much fun (maybe that is why the wife was so fed up with me after the 5 hour each way trip with all three kids that we took this past summer). You literally have to speak up almost to the point of a yell to talk over it.

I downloaded a DB meter app on my phone, I am sure it was not very accurate but I knew it would give me a fair comparison between the mufflers. The Flowmaster averaged about 79 DB and would hit peaks of 90-91 at its loudest, when it was droning. The AFE averages about 73 and peaks out at its loudest at 85, but never a booming drone. If this is even close to an accurate DB difference, knowing sound doubles every 10 DB, the Flowmaster is more than half again louder than the AFE. All these measurements were inside the vehicle only because as I stated before I don't care how loud or quiet it is outside, I just wanted the DRONE gone...and it is!

Sorry for the long post...cliffs notes: Flomaster Outlaw Drones like crazy and drove me nuts and the AFE Hi-Tuck has no drone and hides away great.

#28 ·
***Update***

Cliffs notes: The AFE Y pipe with the loop delete makes the exhaust a little deeper and introduces a little drone. Also if your lift has geo brackets you need the loop delete.

A few days after installing the Hi-Tuck cat back i noticed I was developing an exhaust leak almost directly under the driver foot area. It's winter here in Iowa so I didn't worry about much but a few more days later and it was really getting bad. I put it up on the hoist at work and found that the exhaust spacer, that I had installed to give more drive shaft clearance after the lift, was leaking badly and was very loose. I decided to order the AFE Y pipe that will get rid of the spacers and is routed differently to give much better clearance. The first kit that I ordered came with a replacement exhaust loop for the driver side between the cat and the Y pipe. The loop pipe is shaped differently than the factory and pushed more forward to give better clearance...it didn't fit. My AEV lift has geo brackets and with the loop pushing more forward than stock it was hitting the geo bracket and not going onto the pipe from the cat far enough. I then ordered the AFE loop delete intended for long arm lifted vehicles, this fit perfectly. AFE warned me that it would change the exhaust tone some, but I had no choice as I had already cut the factory pipe behind the cat...I was at the point of no return. Now driving it I notice that the sound is deeper and it has introduced some drone but NOTHING even close to what the flowmaster had and mostly at lower RPMs and not at HWY cruising speeds. I am still very happy with this setup and would recommend it to anyone and everyone!

#30 ·
Hm, I have an AEV lift with geo brackets and did not need to make any changes to the exhaust system. I did switch to Adams drive shafts though - I have 4.5 inches of suspension lift too.

Ah, I see it was a replacement loop that caused problems with the geo brackets. Sorry

#29 ·
Also, the AFE Y pipe setup is AWESOME for clearance, it routes the cross pipe going to the passenger cat behind the cross-member above the skid plate. Now it is nowhere near the driveshaft!

#31 ·
Yep, the axle back was fine, it was the loop on the replacement Y pipe up front.

Now I am wishing I would have done the S.S. cat back system rather than the axle back system...all I have left of the stock system is the cats and the section from behind the Y to the axle.

#34 ·
Late to this discussion, but might help the next person looking for muffler suggestions.
I went with the Paradox muffler and a Khaos muffler delete pipe. Less than $200 for the parts. All made in the USA.
Sounded great, no drone, but was just a little to loud for my older ears. Had a Dodge Hemi Charger flow thru resonator installed behind the Paradox muffler. The resonator was in a pile of take off at the muffler shop. Free plus the welding charge.
Very happy with this combination, sounds like a $400 muffler for about 1/2 the cost. Richard

#35 · (Edited)
The AWE-Tuning Trail Edition Cat Back exhaust for JK is not annoyingly loud like many catbacks, and has a refined tone (no buzzing, popping, or flatulating like the teenage Honda crowd). It is one of most refined sounding exhausts I have heard in all of the videos, sound compilations, and in real life. The T304L stainless steel and 3" piping were deciding factors which were better metal and larger diameter than anything else I could see in my price range. It has tons of clearance and sounds awesome both on the trail and scooting around town! My only complaint is with 4.56 gears the inside cabin sound gets louder than desired at around 2750 rpm or above 70mph, especially when going uphill or accelerating. That is when it gets louder than the 35" M/T's and causes us to speak more loudly to have a conversation. If I weren't making interstate highway trips, or if I didn't regear I would keep it on there.

If anyone is interested in mine which was installed in 11/23 and has about 2000 miles on it let me know. I can get it to you much cheaper than buying it new.

I am thinking about a Magnaflow Overland. Have you seen the new axleback Overland with the adjustable sound? I wish that was available in a catback version. That has three different sounds in one exhaust, you can adjust it how you like it to sound.