Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is no fuel door in my 2014 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, there is no key hole in the fuel cap. Even if the car is locked, the fuel cap could be easily opened. This is weird...

Any way to make the fuel tank safe? Last year, someone drilled a hole in my VW Tiguan fuel tank to steal the gas, and nearly killed me.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Check out this thread for an alternative to paying crazy prices for Mopar fuel door.

It's not a locking door, though.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
There are two locking fuel doors for the wrangler. One is made by Rugged Ridge I think, and uses it's own key. The other is a MOPAR and you key it to your ignition key yourself.

If you google jk locking fuel or gas cap you should get plenty of hits.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
There are two locking fuel doors for the wrangler. One is made by Rugged Ridge I think, and uses it's own key. The other is a MOPAR and you key it to your ignition key yourself.
I have never seen a MOPAR fuel door with a lock. There is indeed a MOPAR fuel cap, and it does match your ignition key.

·
Registered
830 Posts
My last several vehicle have not had any lock on the fuel door or cap, never been a problem. I guess it may depend on where you live I suppose.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
There is no fuel door in my 2014 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, there is no key hole in the fuel cap. Even if the car is locked, the fuel cap could be easily opened. This is weird...

Any way to make the fuel tank safe? Last year, someone drilled a hole in my VW Tiguan fuel tank to steal the gas, and nearly killed me.
Sorry about your last vehicle.

I hate to say this....but I would think that a look on the fuel cap or fuel door would make someone more likely to drill the tank.

I do understand about it being odd that anyone can open it....but it is what it is. I have the Mopar Fuel door....but it isn't locked or lockable. The Mopar locking fuel cap can be locked, but easily defeated if someone really wants to...(or they will just drill your tank again).

·
Registered
684 Posts

Locking fuel door or locking fuel cap won't stop someone from drilling a hole in your tank. They drill to steal fuel because new fuel tanks are nearly impossible to siphon now.

·
Vendor
6,014 Posts

There are few different Locking Fuel Doors and Caps that would help secure your fuel. The cap would still be able to be drilled like your old vehicle, so the door may be more secure for you. Let me know if you have any questions or if you'd like a quote on anything!

-Ryan

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
This was also my gripe when i got my 2014 JKU Sport... i can't understand why they wouldn't make one standard on these types of vehicles, but hey thats Jeep for you.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I'm not sure why anyone would think this is unsuaual, my '07 nissan frontier doesn't have a locking door or cap.. my previous two trucks (chevy s10's) neither had a locking cap.. Come to think of it I've never owned a vehicle with a locking door or cap from the factory....

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
I have never seen a MOPAR fuel door with a lock. There is indeed a MOPAR fuel cap, and it does match your ignition key.
Thank you for the assist. I did indeed mean locking CAP, not door.

OP, my apologies for the confusion.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
I have a Mopar locking gas cap only maybe to keep a kid from putting something down the tube, not to keep someone from stealing gas. A syphon won't make it to the tank due to the check valve. That's why they drill the tank. If someone wants gas they're going to get it. I still like having the locking cap. The locking doors don't seem to hold up.

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
The open fuel fill is as iconic as the 7 slot grill. Some people just don't get it and never will. :nonono: The good thing is they keep the supply of used Jeeps that have never gone off road up.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
The open fuel fill is as iconic as the 7 slot grill. Some people just don't get it and never will. :nonono: The good thing is they keep the supply of used Jeeps that have never gone off road up.
I figure that as long as I keep the 7 slot grill, my fuel door won't confuse too many people.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
Like having the fuel fill behind the rear plate? :D

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Do locking gas caps even serve a purpose? I mean i dont think you can siphon gas out of 2006 and newer vehicle??

You should probably be more worried about sugar poured into the tank!

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Do locking gas caps even serve a purpose? I mean i dont think you can siphon gas out of 2006 and newer vehicle??

You should probably be more worried about sugar poured into the tank!

I think it is a "peace of mind" thing. If I ever get some spare cash, I would consider getting one just to say I have one....even if know it does not really do much. Someone posted in another thread about how their locking gas cap was mis-keyed, and the tech just took a pair of vice grips and twisted it off. So much for security....but...if it keeps some young punk from dropping anything in my tank....so be it. (Not that it has ever happened).

Even sugar in the gas tank isn't that much of a threat.
snopes.com: Sugar in the Gas Tank

1 - 20 of 21 Posts