Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The headlights on my wife's 2001 wrangler stopped working the other night. All other lights work, including the high beams, so if I rotate the selector knob to the headlight position, only the amber driving lights come on. If I then pull the lever back to the high beam position, I get high beams.

I'm thinking it's likely a problem with the lamp module located on the steering column, but don't know for sure or how to test. If anyone has experienced this problem before, or replaced the module, I'd be grateful for any feedback.

Thanks.

sm

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tbensor said:
Are you [email protected] sure the low beams are not burnt out? I had that hapen on a bronco I owned. Both low beams burn out with in hrs of each other
It's possible, but seemed unlikely that they would both go at the same time. I will check though, always best to start with the obvious stuff.

sm

·
Registered
755 Posts
One of mine had the low beam burn out a month ago. I didnt give the other one a chance to. For 10 bucks a piece i just replaced them both.

·
Registered
2001 Wrangler Sport
4,645 Posts
If its not a bulb pull the steering column open and check that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had this problem and just replaced the bulbs.. still no headlights. Anyone have any ideas? Also the high beam indicator does not come on when the high beams are on if that helps.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,638 Posts
Because there is no relay used in the headlight circuit, the TJ's OE headlight switch contacts see all of the current drawn by the headlights. So because of that, it's not uncommon for the headlight switch to burn out, I would replace it with a good quality OE Mopar switch... and did so in my previous TJ for the same issue. I recommended the Mopar switch because it's difficult/hit-or-miss to get decent quality replacement parts from sources like Autozone.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Because there is no relay used in the headlight circuit, the TJ's OE headlight switch contacts see all of the current drawn by the headlights. So because of that, it's not uncommon for the headlight switch to burn out, I would replace it with a good quality OE Mopar switch... and did so in my previous TJ for the same issue. I recommended the Mopar switch because it's difficult/hit-or-miss to get decent quality replacement parts from sources like Autozone.
I've read on other forums it may not be since my indicator doesn't turn on with the brights. When I leave the lights on and open the door it flashes though so I know the light still works.

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
My experience was the same with the Multifunction Switch. On my 05 Rubicon I had the problem where the fog lamps were on all the time. Bought the first MFS on ebay and it was defective. Bought the second one from Quadratec and that one was DOA with a different problem. The third purchase was from my Dealer and it worked perfectly and still does.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
My experience was the same with the Multifunction Switch. On my 05 Rubicon I had the problem where the fog lamps were on all the time. Bought the first MFS on ebay and it was defective. Bought the second one from Quadratec and that one was DOA with a different problem. The third purchase was from my Dealer and it worked perfectly and still does.
I will only buy electrical parts from the dealer . You get what you pay for and aftermarket parts come mainly from China and profit is the only concern from the companies that sell that crap.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I got one from auto zone and it seems to have done the trick for now. If it breaks it has a warranty on it but once that's up of it breaks I went hesitate to go back to the dealership.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,638 Posts
Are the dealership parts actually made here???
Who cares? Even if they're from Mexico, dealer parts must be made to meet Mopar specifications. If Autozone buys them, they don't have to be made to the same quality level.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts