Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(UPDATED) No HEAT this morning... Driver Blend Door Actuator

Hi all,

So - had a cooler than normal day here in August - was 58 this morning.

On my way in to work - went to turn the heat on - and noticed I got ZERO heat. Nothing. Thinking - WTH - I fiddled with the controls and nothing.

So, I'm guessing one of three things...

1) HVAC Controller
2) HVAC Hot/Cold Blend Door
3) Heater Core

Given that there is absolutely ZERO change in any vents (not just passenger side heat), my mind believe it's either #1 or #2.

I do have the stupid blinking light on the rear defrost when starting up and I hear the blend door motors doing some configuration clicks (on the passenger side) - so, I'm thinking it's one of those two and not the heater core.

The only reason why heater core comes to mind AT ALL, is because the dealership last year topped me off with HOAT, not OAT - drove 8 miles before I realized it and brought it back and they flushed it at their expense. THEN, they replaced the radiator in January - so, my guess is it is NOT related to that (but, how would I know for sure)?

Thoughts, fellow Jeepers??

If any one can post the service manual instructions on how to get to the driver side actuator - that would help. All videos talk about the one on the passenger side - which is easier to get to, for sure.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well - just as I suspected - it's either the HVAC controller or the blend door/actuator.

I say that because if I take off the dash panel just below the steering wheel (I did it on lunch) and can see the actuator arms for the blend door. It does not move at all when moving from Cold to Hot on the temperature dial.

If anyone has the part number, or FSM details on how to correct/replace this and can share with me, I would very much appreciate it.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, nothing like doing it yourself and saving some money.

Thanks to several YouTube videos and other posts on here, I was able to figure it out.

It was indeed the blend door actuator on the driver side. I was able to unlatch the actuator arm from the blend door connection and move the door freely. Still realizing the blend door actuator was stuck - I simply attempted to push the arm one gear tooth - and once it did - it was fine and moved like it should when I turned the power on and adjusted the temperature dial.

Reconnecting the arm to the door took about of patience, skill, cursing and good fortune, but, thanks to the posts of DIYers like me - I saved myself $450 (the average cost two dealerships would charge to replace the part - mostly labor - it was a $35 part).

·
Premium Member
1,551 Posts
Just replaced mine a few days ago. Kind of a pain for an old guy but nothing too major. Bought 2 while I was at it I believe in planning ahead.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just replaced mine a few days ago. Kind of a pain for an old guy but nothing too major. Bought 2 while I was at it I believe in planning ahead.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Agreed - I think the most challenging part was getting over and around the door sill to get a look at the piece from the bottom...

·
Premium Member
1,551 Posts
Were you able to remove the air duct that blocks your view to make it easier? Mine wouldn't come off. I used an led light and the wife's hand mirror to see up in there. Discovered my air duct has what appears to be weatherstrip adhesive holding it to the air box and it came from the factory that way. Wife has since bought me my own hand mirror.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Were you able to remove the air duct that blocks your view to make it easier? Mine wouldn't come off. I used an led light and the wife's hand mirror to see up in there. Discovered my air duct has what appears to be weatherstrip adhesive holding it to the air box and it came from the factory that way. Wife has since bought me my own hand mirror.
Nope - I couldn't get it off, either as it looks like it had the same glue type stuff on it.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Hi all,

So - had a cooler than normal day here in August - was 58 this morning.

On my way in to work - went to turn the heat on - and noticed I got ZERO heat. Nothing. Thinking - WTH - I fiddled with the controls and nothing.

So, I'm guessing one of three things...

1) HVAC Controller
2) HVAC Hot/Cold Blend Door
3) Heater Core

Given that there is absolutely ZERO change in any vents (not just passenger side heat), my mind believe it's either #1 or #2.

I do have the stupid blinking light on the rear defrost when starting up and I hear the blend door motors doing some configuration clicks (on the passenger side) - so, I'm thinking it's one of those two and not the heater core.

The only reason why heater core comes to mind AT ALL, is because the dealership last year topped me off with HOAT, not OAT - drove 8 miles before I realized it and brought it back and they flushed it at their expense. THEN, they replaced the radiator in January - so, my guess is it is NOT related to that (but, how would I know for sure)?

Thoughts, fellow Jeepers??

If any one can post the service manual instructions on how to get to the driver side actuator - that would help. All videos talk about the one on the passenger side - which is easier to get to, for sure.
It's funny you posted this. I had the exact same thing happen the other night... maybe even the same day as you.... but my wife and I were returning home from dinner with our son and his family. It, too, was unseasonably cool. My wife gets cold easily, so I decided to turn on the heat for her. I turned the temp knob to full heat, make sure the A/C light is not on, and nothing. It's blowing cool air. I fiddle with the knobs for several minutes as we drive home and still nothing but cool air... pretty chilly actually for late August. Of course I'm thinking that it's me and I just can't remember how to turn on the heat HA! So just for shits and giggles, I hit the A/C button and turn it on for a few seconds, then turn it back off. Then crank the heater know up to full, and wa-la... it worked. Not sure why, or what the issue was but thanks for posting this. I'll keep and eye on mine now. By the way mine is a '16 RHR with almost 27,000 miles.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, @Old Syko - looks like I'm in for a replacement, as the motor froze up again today. Got it working, but, need this resolved going in to Winter season.

·
Premium Member
1,551 Posts
Well, @Old Syko - looks like I'm in for a replacement, as the motor froze up again today. Got it working, but, need this resolved going in to Winter season.
It's the time of year to start prioritizing cold weather function. Past experience is the reason I went ahead and bought 2 of the stupid things when I bought. If I never need it I'll just consider it a precautionary expense like insurance. Good luck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Happened to me twice. First time leaky rad hose due to broken clamps, second time it was the actuator. All within 3 weeks.

·
Premium Member
1,551 Posts
Hell! I can't win for losing either. 90 degrees this afternoon and after stopping in The Home Depot I start out to find nothing but white hot heat coming from the vents. Windows down and haul for home. When I get there I rebooted the system and all is almost well again except now at every restart I get the flashing def light and a wait for 60 to 90 seconds before anything happens. Going to sit down and order a replacement controller since this one tests very erratic. :deadhorse:

·
Registered
963 Posts
those blend doors seem to be a common issue, if you can reach in to free arm you should have no trouble replacing it. from what i remember you dont need to pull dash or anything. maybe just a air duct if anythingi

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hell! I can't win for losing either. 90 degrees this afternoon and after stopping in The Home Depot I start out to find nothing but white hot heat coming from the vents. Windows down and haul for home. When I get there I rebooted the system and all is almost well again except now at every restart I get the flashing def light and a wait for 60 to 90 seconds before anything happens. Going to sit down and order a replacement controller since this one tests very erratic.
I?m sure you know, but, take your controller out and get the part number and replace what came out - who knew, but there is like 10 different part numbers based on features for that piece.., (hard top, no hard top, auto climate, no auto climate, ac, no ac - it?s insane).

I?m going to replace both the controller and the blend door - mine has the rear defrost blinking light at start up every time since I got it - and I hear the actuators calibrating every time I get in it.

·
Premium Member
1,551 Posts
I?m sure you know, but, take your controller out and get the part number and replace what came out - who knew, but there is like 10 different part numbers based on features for that piece.., (hard top, no hard top, auto climate, no auto climate, ac, no ac - it?s insane).

I?m going to replace both the controller and the blend door - mine has the rear defrost blinking light at start up every time since I got it - and I hear the actuators calibrating every time I get in it.
When you get them both replaced unhook your negative battery cable and link it to the positive and let it set for a few minutes to allow the system to reboot before you turn the key back on again.

Yep I'm well aware of the different numbers but thanks. I first made master certification through Chrysler in May of 78 so this crap is nothing new for me. I'm not bragging. It's actually sort of sickening when it thing about it. Good luck to both of us! My controller will not be here til Wednesday.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts