Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
You would still need to trim your pinch seem. 37's will be horrible for a DD. The stress and strain on your entire drive train will cause many issues down the road. You had better plan on sleeving and gusseting your front axle.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Well first off, you'd wanna switch your gear ratio from stock to atleast 5:11 i think the rubicon could handle it with the 4:10's though

·
Banned
916 Posts
Why would 37's be horrible for a daily driver? If it would fit in my garage I would throw some 37's on in a heartbeat! 35's on my DD here and I love it!!! Yeah..mileage sux, its a bit sluggish..but it gets me all over the little bitty city of HOUSTON everyday. I have said it before..I will say it again...it COSTS MONEY TO GO BIG. If you cant deal with that issue...keep the bike tires on it.

·
Banned
916 Posts
hey drewcipher....was it the metalcloak site that attempted to load the virus? That might explain where I picked up the one currently on my laptop! If so...I am going to call metalcloak and let them know. They have been a really good company to deal with and I love their products...I got one of their front bumpers on my rig....and want some of their fenders REALLY bad.

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
Why would 37's be horrible for a daily driver? If it would fit in my garage I would throw some 37's on in a heartbeat! 35's on my DD here and I love it!!! Yeah..mileage sux, its a bit sluggish..but it gets me all over the little bitty city of HOUSTON everyday. I have said it before..I will say it again...it COSTS MONEY TO GO BIG. If you cant deal with that issue...keep the bike tires on it.
Then you should be able to afford a bigger garage. Stop being cheap and GO BIG!:rofl:

·
Banned
916 Posts
Ever priced custom garage doors...and the work entailed in opening the existing space up? Really not worth it for two more inches of tire. My wife thought I had lost my mind.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I believe that red JK on Metalcloak's website has a 2" lift "because it looks better", according to Metalcloak. I'm not sure I've ever seen a JK with no lift at all and 37" tires, even with Metalcloak fenders. If they have such a JK they need to update their web page and show it to us.

And you don't need Metalcloak fenders to fit 37s, if you're going to add a 2" to 2 1/2" lift. Here is my Jeep with a 2 1/2" lift, 37s, and GenRight aluminum flat fenders.

As for what it takes to run 37s with 2 1/2" lift, ... you will need the 2 1/2" extended bumpstops that come with the lift, longer shocks, swaybar links, front adjustable trackbar, and a rear trackbar bracket. I have adjustable lower control arms, but they would not be needed, because I have my adjustable arms set at stock length and driveline angles and castor are fine, with no vibrations or bad steering issues what-so-ever. You will need flat fenders, or trimmed stock flares, and you will need to trim the pinch seem at the front edge of the rear fender. I simply followed the contour of my Genright flat fenders with my sawzall, and repainted the cut edge with Mopar touch up paint. There is no tire rub at all on the rear end, and the tires only lightly rub the frame at full steering lock on the front end. Adding a washer to the steering stop bolt would stop that problem.

As for 37s and a daily driver ...

I've owned somewhere around 30 Jeeps in my life, and have lots of experience with lifted and modified vehicles. This Jeep drives like a dream. Absolutely no bad handling issues at all. For around town driving the stock 4.10 gears are also fine. On the highway just push the overdrive off button, and you're good. Top gear with the auto transmission, and these tires, don't go together.

I do plan to re-gear to 5.38 gears in a few weeks, and will also add inner axle sleeves, c-gussets, and Poly Performance ball joints. But the Jeep is just fine without these last additions, and I have no hesitations using it as a daily driver.

·
Registered
58 Posts
hey drewcipher....was it the metalcloak site that attempted to load the virus? That might explain where I picked up the one currently on my laptop! If so...I am going to call metalcloak and let them know. They have been a really good company to deal with and I love their products...I got one of their front bumpers on my rig....and want some of their fenders REALLY bad.
Yeah it was the metalcloak site.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sorry for posting that link, I have a mac so I had no problems,
thanks for the complete write up on 2.5 lift, that's prob what I will do to my 2011 rubicon 2 door some day soonish.

·
Registered
90 Posts
where can i purchase those fenders

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
And you don't need Metalcloak fenders to fit 37s, if you're going to add a 2" to 2 1/2" lift. Here is my Jeep with a 2 1/2" lift, 37s, and GenRight aluminum flat fenders.

driver.
Very well written and informative post right there. ^^

Plus a pic that is applicable!! Thanks for educating me. And very sweet looking JK. Rugged yet classy. Love the color, wheels & of course, the tires!!!
Bruce

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:) Thats a beautiful setup, but

I believe that red JK on Metalcloak's website has a 2" lift "because it looks better", according to Metalcloak. I'm not sure I've ever seen a JK with no lift at all and 37" tires, even with Metalcloak fenders. If they have such a JK they need to update their web page and show it to us.

As for what it takes to run 37s with 2 1/2" lift, ... you will need the 2 1/2" extended bumpstops that come with the lift, longer shocks, swaybar links, front adjustable trackbar, and a rear trackbar bracket. I have adjustable lower control arms, but they would not be needed, because I have my adjustable arms set at stock length and driveline angles and castor are fine, with no vibrations or bad steering issues what-so-ever. You will need flat fenders, or trimmed stock flares, and you will need to trim the pinch seem at the front edge of the rear fender. I simply followed the contour of my Genright flat fenders with my sawzall, and repainted the cut edge with Mopar touch up paint. There is no tire rub at all on the rear end, and the tires only lightly rub the frame at full steering lock on the front end. Adding a washer to the steering stop bolt would stop that problem.

As for 37s and a daily driver ...

I've owned somewhere around 30 Jeeps in my life, and have lots of experience with lifted and modified vehicles. This Jeep drives like a dream. Absolutely no bad handling issues at all. For around town driving the stock 4.10 gears are also fine. On the highway just push the overdrive off button, and you're good. Top gear with the auto transmission, and these tires, don't go together.

I do plan to re-gear to 5.38 gears in a few weeks, and will also add inner axle sleeves, c-gussets, and Poly Performance ball joints. But the Jeep is just fine without these last additions, and I have no hesitations using it as a daily driver.
If you've owned 30 jeeps-they haven't been JKs and I'm afraid your in a time warp-bad things are gonna start happening SOON !!

:rofl::rofl: JIMBO

1 - 20 of 41 Posts